Author Topic: Out of date virus data files  (Read 11712 times)

spats

Out of date virus data files
« on: July 14, 2003, 07:20:17 PM »
Hello to all
I wonder if anyone can help with the following :-
When I start my computer I am informed that my virus data files were created 5 months ago and that they should by updated.
Now that I am protected by avast do I need to bother and, if not, how can I get rid of this message?
Thanks for your help.
regards
spats

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Out of date virus data files
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 07:37:13 PM »
What Version do you use? Did you make an update? Is your Systemdate correct?
MfG Ralf

techie101

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 02:21:39 AM »

When I start my computer I am informed that my virus data files were created 5 months ago and that they should by updated.

** Firstly, why hasn't  your database been updated?
Raman makes a good point....Make sure your systemdate is correct.  We need to know if you database IS really 5 months old.

Now that I am protected by avast do I need to bother and, if not, how can I get rid of this message?

The message is there to protect you from going without current virus definitions.  and NO you are no longer protected if the 5 month date is correct

I am more concerned with WHY your database has not been updated more than the fact that it is not.

What version of Avast are you using?
Home edition or Pro version?
Have you attempted to update your version of Avast at all?
When was the last time you updated the program?

There have been at least 3 new builds of Avast Home in the last few months, so I doubt that your version is current.  Lets work on this as quickly as possible to get you back up to speed, and your system protected.

;)

spats

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 12:31:35 AM »
I address this to Raman & Techie101
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my mail.
Firstly, I'm don't have much experience with computers and I'm working on a 5 year old thinkpad. Windows 98SE is installed. It is a 233Mhz intel pentium with 96Mb installed memory. My computer has been running particularly slowly recently and I wanted to try and speed things up a bit. I realize that this is not the ideal setup for the net but for the moment it's all I've got. So, anyway....
I tried to degfragment the disc and I couldn't manage. When I pressed ok to start defragmentation the computer froze and I had to press ctrl-alt-suppr to get things going again. This is when I saw that there was a prob with the virus scan. I got a window for McAfee & Network associates suggesting that I  do a scan. I didn't have the time to do it and it is when I started up again I saw this message:-

Scan engine V4.1.60 for Dos/PM
Virus data file V4245 created Jan 29 2003
Scanning for 63605 viruses, trojans and variants.

Virus data files created over 5 months ago, should be updated etc.....

I did try a couple of times to update and I even left the computer on overnight but nothing appeared to have happened. It was then that I read about Avast and I thought that it would be a good idea to start afresh and get rid of McAfee while I was at it...

I'll try to answer your various questions....

The date on my computer is set at today's date.
I believe that the virus data files were created on Jan 29th 2003.
I'm using Avast version 4.0 home edition
Build Jun 2003-2(4.0.235)
I have not attempted to update my version as I only installed it the first time last week.

I can't think of anything more at the moment.
However, please be aware that I greatly appreciate your assistance.
thanks and kind regards
spats

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 05:48:07 AM »
Scan engine V4.1.60 for Dos/PM
Virus data file V4245 created Jan 29 2003
Scanning for 63605 viruses, trojans and variants.

The "Problem" is, that this message doe not come from Avast. It comesfrom Mcafee. :) You should update your Mcafee Dats and scanningengine or yust disable the Scanor Bootscan line in the Autoexec.bat

Edit: You can do this by downloading the Sdat*.exe file from this ftp Server ftp://ftpeur.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x. Just download and start it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 09:35:23 AM by raman »
MfG Ralf

techie101

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 07:53:53 AM »
I got a window for McAfee & Network associates suggesting that I  do a scan.

Firstly, I think that the outdated virus files are NOT Avast files but McAfee definitions.  V4245 does not sound like an Avast db number.  McAfee is a subscription service, and if your subscription ran out, the program will not allow updates.

Secondly, more than likely, you are running out of system resources and that is why the defrag stops.
Try shutting down all programs with Ctl/Alt/ and Del. except Systray and Explorer.  Then try Defrag again.  This should do the trick.

Thirdly, let's try a manual update of Avast to be sure you are up to date.  You ARE running the latest build of the program so that's a plus.  Right click on the "A" ball in the tray and select Updates.  Click on Database update.
Either Avast will tell you that you are up to date, or it will update the db.

NOTE:  AVAST DOES NOT LIKE OTHER AV'S RUNNING ON THE SAME SYSTEM!  If you are trying to run Avast and McAfee....I would not.  Personally, I would try to run Avast alone and uninstall McAfee (also since the db is 5 months old).

Good Luck
 :D

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 09:40:46 AM »
NOTE:  AVAST DOES NOT LIKE OTHER AV'S RUNNING ON THE SAME SYSTEM!
...the same time. So two on access Scanners will conflikt with each other and sometimes the driver do, too. So if you want realtimeprotection from avast  start MSCONFIG.EXE and unmark all entries belong to NAI/Mcafee. Than restart and your computer should work fine again.  You do not need to totaly uninstall Mcafee. A second up to date scanner is allways usefull and the Scanning engine from Mcafee is really good, too.
MfG Ralf

spats

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 10:22:38 AM »
Edit: You can do this by downloading the Sdat*.exe file from this ftp Server ftp://ftpeur.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x. Just download and start it.

I tried but didn't know where to start. I just saw the columns of figures and dates. Not exactly "user friendly"!!!!!

spats

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 10:28:16 AM »

Secondly, more than likely, you are running out of system resources and that is why the defrag stops.
Try shutting down all programs with Ctl/Alt/ and Del. except Systray and Explorer.  Then try Defrag again.  This should do the trick.
Sorry, what is systray.
The thing is, the defrag doesn't stop....it doesn't start!!

Thirdly, let's try a manual update of Avast....all OK!

spats

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 10:36:14 AM »
quote-
[ if you want realtimeprotection from avast  start MSCONFIG.EXE and unmark all entries belong to NAI/Mcafee.
There is only one reference to McAfee in msconfig. I have disabled it and I still get the ref to the 5 month old files when I start up?!

Have a good week end.
Spats

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 12:07:27 PM »
There has to be another one called Bootscan or scan( i think in the autoexec.bat). But  maybe the easiest is to simple update your Mcafee! So you still get a bit extra protection. The message does not mean, that the Realtimeprotection of Mcafee is still enabled.
MfG Ralf

spats

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2003, 07:46:18 PM »
"Secondly, more than likely, you are running out of system resources and that is why the defrag stops.
Try shutting down all programs with Ctl/Alt/ and Del. except Systray and Explorer.  Then try Defrag again.  This should do the trick."

This is the latest on the defrag. It starts now. It goes from 0%-1% then back to 0%. This is all that it does. I left the computer on all night and it was still doing the same thing! 0%-1%-0%
I know that computers work on the binary system but this is ridiculous!!!! ???

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2003, 08:25:07 PM »
Okay, try something different. Download startuplist  from here : http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ or direct downloadlink:  http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/startuplist.zip .
Downloqad it, start it and copy and paste it in your answer and we will see further.

BTW: Defrag works in safe mode, too!
MfG Ralf