Author Topic: Avast on Win98  (Read 4926 times)

PortraitArtist

Avast on Win98
« on: January 24, 2011, 06:20:12 AM »
Hi,
I have one computer that runs on Win98 that I need an antivirus program for.
I cannot update it to the latest platforms, because the embroidery program I ran on it is great, but it is too expensive to update.
I would like to know if the AVAST program still works with Win987.
Thank you, PortraitArtist

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast on Win98
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:31:52 AM »
The older 4 version's worked on 98 but not the newer 5 version's, you might have to look at something like clamwin av which i think still cover's win 98 (i think) :)

osants911

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 07:41:12 AM »
ClamWin Free Antivirus is compatible with Windows 98 but it does not offer any on-access(Real Time) Protection, just On Demand.

About ClamWin Free Antivirus: http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/71/1/

dw2108

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:47:04 AM »
Get ClamSentinel RealTime for ClamWin. You'll have to install the latest ClamWin first, then install ClamSentinel from clamsentinel.sourceforge.net. Alongside Clam, you can get the ON DEMAND ONLY free Digital Patrol which is great for 9x. Also WinPatrol, Anvir Task Manager , Vir.IT Explorer Lite, Kerio 2.1,5 Personal Firewall, WinSonar, System Safety Monitor, MJ RegWatcher, BB FileMap BootWatcher, FingerPrint, Monidir 2000, hpHosts File, SpyBot, Spywareblaster, Fortego All-Seeing Eye, FileChecker, ScripTrap, ScriptSentry -- all FREE and using only about 14 MB total while running all this. I've given you overkill, but you'll be OK with just a few of these to guard your PC.

I'm a VERY UNSAFE surfer of the web, so I have fun with this stuff. People don't understand: DOS and 9x/ME systems are coming back, now 6% all PC's used and estimated by FCC to be soon at 11%!

Dave

PS: Enjoy your 9x. And set fire to any a-hole who mentions upgrading!

PPS: IMPORTANT! GET OPERA 8.54 FROM arc.opera.com. If you don't know whether you're on a safe page or a bad site, use the quick pref's to disable Java plugins. Opera 8.54 will tell you if someone or some website is trying to place harmful things on your PC. A box will pop up titled "Java Scrip" with a detailed explanation of what some jerk is trying to do to you. Simply click the X in the upper right hand corner to ruin his plans and stay safe. Also, I'll copy a DrWeb Link Scanner ini file and plugin-ignore file for you. You'll just have to copy and past it into a folder. This way you can check before you visit. Also, Opera 8 plain-text email is damn near incapable of being infected. It's a safer email client, and NO virus, worm or trojan is known to be able both to infect plain-text AND to harm Win 98 -- a fact found on avast.com!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:04:59 AM by dw2108 »