Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Accidentally renamed "Alwil Software" in the Program Files  (Read 14550 times)

Alira

Hello I'm new here and I need help. I accidentally renamed "Alwil Software" in the Program Files because I was trying to delete Axis Games folders (it was this folder that's supposed to be renamed) well yeah that's their problem. Anyway after that I tried to undo rename the file folder but nothing happened. After that I tried to open some programs and it failed to load because of missing dll in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5 (it was not ashBase.dll) so as soon as everything failed to open I tried to restart my PC but it showed that logonUI can't start because of the same problem. So I did force restart and then just after the boot screen BSOD showed up and booted my computer. Did Startup Repair and still the same thing it did not fix the problem. Also I don't any backup cd.

I don't know much about computers so please help I don't want to lose important files especially my resume and birth certificate documents!!

Resolved thanks to Sparxx!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:51:49 PM by Alira »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Accidentally renamed "Alwil Software" in the Program Files
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
That's strange, i mean renaming a self-protected folder. I'd say it's impossible but since it might be a bug i wonder how was possible. It could be that it's not protected agains renaming...

Can you boot in safe mode or does it BSOD even before you can do that?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

DavidCo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
there is another thread with logonui.exe having issues
I cannot see how you can rename in the Program Files

Alira

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »
That's strange, i mean renaming a self-protected folder. I'd say it's impossible but since it might be a bug i wonder how was possible. It could be that it's not protected agains renaming...

I disabled UAC and I had administrator privileges. I can't boot in safe mode actually there's an option if I should launch Startup Repair or Start Windoze normally.

there is another thread with logonui.exe having issues
I cannot see how you can rename in the Program Files
Not just logonui.exe but EVERY program had issues because of missing dll in the avast directory!

Sparxx

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »

I disabled UAC and I had administrator privileges. I can't boot in safe mode actually there's an option if I should launch Startup Repair or Start Windoze normally.

It isn't UAC related, the Alwil Software folder is protected by avast's self defence module, so it's possible that the self defence is unchecked, or it's not working(corrupt  program installation)

Actually i'd sugest an installation from the scratch, if possible.
And what about other security programs, did you got any on your system, even before avast, or beside avast ?

Alira

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
It isn't UAC related, the Alwil Software folder is protected by avast's self defence module, so it's possible that the self defence is unchecked, or it's not working(corrupt  program installation)
That would be impossible because every time I install programs I double check anything especially when it's about the system. Also I don't know how to turn of avast self defense module.

Impossible. My system keeps on getting BSOD and Startup Repair isn't helping at all.

And what about other security programs, did you got any on your system, even before avast, or beside avast ?

What do you mean?

Sparxx

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:07:14 PM »
That would be impossible because every time I install programs I double check anything especially when it's about the system. Also I don't know how to turn of avast self defense module.

Impossible. My system keeps on getting BSOD and Startup Repair isn't helping at all.

What do you mean?

1) Well you don't need to know where the self defence is located to uncheck it, it could be a corrupt installation.

2) You can try to boot into safe mode ( Hit the F8 during PC start).

3) I mean if you don't have  any security related program beside avast installed, or maybe you once had another antivirus(suite) installed ?

Alira

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »
1) Well you don't need to know where the self defence is located to uncheck it, it could be a corrupt installation.
Okay.

2) You can try to boot into safe mode ( Hit the F8 during PC start).
I'm not in my PC right now so anyway can I uninstall avast during safe mode? (Please answer because I'm taking notes here.)

3) I mean if you don't have  any security related program beside avast installed, or maybe you once had another antivirus(suite) installed ?
No avast was my first. Other security programs are not virus related. I have MBAM, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Registry Booster, and Tuneup Utilities.

Sparxx

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
Yes, you can unninstall avast in safe mode, just read the following steps:

* Download a copy of the antivirus here : http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab4
   * Download aswClear5.exe on your desktop : http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe
   * Start Windows in Safe Mode
   * Open (execute) the uninstall utility
   * If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
   * Click REMOVE
   * Restart your computer
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:59:38 PM by Sparxx »

Alira

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »
Listen guys my technician told me that the problem is not hardware failure or system failure. According to him he was able to read the memory/stack dump (or whatever those IT people call it) and the problem is a missing system branch file (guess what, a dll) from a software. He was sure about it but he doesn't know what software is causing the error. He also told me that the PC is fixable if only that software can be removed because the system is dependent on that software. The system is still present because it can still load the boot screen, System23 files and can use startup Repair but it can't get to the logon screen. So I'm sure avast is the culprit of this. Sorry if I'm wrong because I'm not really good at computers. Technology isn't just my field. Also my technician can't get to safe mode, instead it shows the boot device selection screen.

I'm hoping someone here will fix the problem.

Sparxx

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »
Also my technician can't get to safe mode, instead it shows the boot device selection screen.

Correct,and at the boot device selection screen you press ESC  and continue to press F8 key, the Windows Load Modes should appear next :), and if your tehnician didn't know that, then i'm not sure about what he said about the dump file.
Try and get to Safe Mode first(if it will be possible), after we'll se what to do(and please call a person what knows what he's doing)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:18:28 PM by Sparxx »

Alira

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »

Correct,and at the boot device selection screen you press ESC  and continue to press F8 key, the Windows Load Modes should appear next :), and if your tehnician didn't know that, then i'm not sure about what he said about the dump file.
Try and get to Safe Mode first(if it will be possible), after we'll se what to do
Did that and there were only two selections, run Windows normally and run Startup Repair.

(and please call a person what knows what he's doing)

Hahahaha!!! Thanks for the tip.

Sparxx

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »
Did that and there were only two selections, run Windows normally and run Startup Repair.

Very strange, it seems it's something weird with your installation as there should be a "Safe Mode" option, and if you could not get to load into Safe Mode, and not having a repair disc, then most likely you will have to reinstall the system.
And it's most likely not avast related, as it seems you have had problems with you system, as the avast should not permit you to rename it's files and folders (even with administrator privileges and UAC disabled), and secondly the strange thing with the Safe Mode option not present(by the way there should be at least 4 different safe mode otions, and some others also repair related).

P.S. I believe there is still one option to try, there could be some bad sectors(because of your force restarts) and that's why your system is getting BSODs at load, you will need to scan you HDD for bad sectors, i can reccomend  MHDD(from Hirens boot CD).

Alira

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
P.S. I believe there is still one option to try, there could be some bad sectors(because of your force restarts) and that's why your system is getting BSODs at load, you will need to scan you HDD for bad sectors, i can reccomend  MHDD(from Hirens boot CD).

MHDD? Do I have to buy it?

By the way how do I make my system read the file? Is it possible to use it through as boot file for devices like USB or DVD? Also if MHDD will be a success then what is the next step? Will it reformat (I don't have Windows 7 installation CD btw) the HDD or delete bad sectors or files?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:09:42 AM by Alira »

Sparxx

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »
MHDD? Do I have to buy it?

By the way how do I make my system read the file? Is it possible to use it through as boot file for devices like USB or DVD? Also if MHDD will be a success then what is the next step? Will it reformat (I don't have Windows 7 installation CD btw) the HDD or delete bad sectors or files?

Hiren's Boot CD is free, and can be found here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
Also to make it bootable from an USB Pen Drive folow this link: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk
Or burn the ISO on a CD and you'll have a bootable CD.

MHDD is a HardDisk Analyzer and Repair tool, if it will found any bad sectors it will try to repair them, after the process ends, you will most likely be able to boot into Windows (but this is only if the problem is in bad sectors, and not in the Windows installation itself).
If you are not familiar with such things it will be wery useful to call somebody who is, because it wi'll be impossible to guide you in the repair process as there may be different situations.

So what do you need to know:
1. MHDD is located in the Hard Disk Tools  section.
2. MHDD is a Dos program, so it may confuse you, but it's very easy, see this:

On run you will see drive selection menu. Please select any device you want(Your system drive). You can always call this menu by pressing SHIFT+F3.
Now you can press F1 and use whatever commands you want. Please be extremely careful when running MHDD first times.
Best commands to try first are EID, SCAN, STOP, CX and TOF. Some of them have shortcuts, for example F4 for SCAN.
---->You need the "Scan" command.<----
Functions (Remap, Erase Delays) are switched off by default, switch them ON, and when you're ready press Enter.

3. Good luck, hope it helps.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:21:50 PM by Sparxx »