Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Accidentally renamed "Alwil Software" in the Program Files  (Read 14623 times)

Alira

Re: Accidentally renamed "Alwil Software" in the Program Files
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
MHDD? Do I have to buy it?

By the way how do I make my system read the file? Is it possible to use it through as boot file for devices like USB or DVD? Also if MHDD will be a success then what is the next step? Will it reformat (I don't have Windows 7 installation CD btw) the HDD or delete bad sectors or files?

Hiren's Boot CD is free, and can be found here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
Also to make it bootable from an USB Pen Drive folow this link: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk
Or burn the ISO on a CD and you'll have a bootable CD.

MHDD is a HardDisk Analyzer and Repair tool, if it will found any bad sectors it will try to repair them, after the process ends, you will most likely be able to boot into Windows (but this is only if the problem is in bad sectors, and not in the Windows installation itself).
If you are not familiar with such things it will be wery useful to call somebody who is, because it wi'll be impossible to guide you in the repair process as there may be different situations.

So what do you need to know:
1. MHDD is located in the Hard Disk Tools  section.
2. MHDD is a Dos program, so it may confuse you, but it's very easy, see this:

On run you will see drive selection menu. Please select any device you want(Your system drive). You can always call this menu by pressing SHIFT+F3.
Now you can press F1 and use whatever commands you want. Please be extremely careful when running MHDD first times.
Best commands to try first are EID, SCAN, STOP, CX and TOF. Some of them have shortcuts, for example F4 for SCAN.
---->You need the "Scan" command.<----
Functions (Remap, Erase Delays) are switched off by default, switch them ON, and when you're ready press Enter.

3. Good luck, hope it helps.

Okay the system was able to read the boot device BUT! It won't enter my commands. It says Error 30: Invalid Argument or Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition.

I followed your instructions and the rebootable USB drive. There could be something wrong but I don't know what it is. It could be my command, how do you enter the command anyway?

Oh and by the way I'm not sure about this but I think snxhk.dll is causing the problems. Can I get more info about that file? I can't seem to find it in Google or other search engines.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:28:36 PM by Alira »

Sparxx

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 03:03:31 PM »
Hi Alira.
You must be more explicit as i don't get where you're typing the commands ? Did you get to MHDD or you're stuck on booting from USB ?

And the snxhk.dll is i think sandbox related but i'm not sure( do you have a paid version of avast or the free one ?).

Alira

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »
Hi Alira.
You must be more explicit as i don't get where you're typing the commands ? Did you get to MHDD or you're stuck on booting from USB ?
I wasn't able to get MHDD. After accessing the boot device I was able to put the commands it's like this;

grub>

I tried to input grub>scan then I get Error 30. I tried grub>/scan then I got Error 17.

And the snxhk.dll is i think sandbox related but i'm not sure( do you have a paid version of avast or the free one ?).
I paid for it. I don't get what's the connection between them.

Sparxx

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »
Hi Alira.
I wasn't able to get MHDD. After accessing the boot device I was able to put the commands it's like this;

grub>

I tried to input grub>scan then I get Error 30. I tried grub>/scan then I got Error 17.

Well it's something wrong, as you shouldn't get this, when you're booting from your USB you should get Hiren's Boot CD menu, something like this:

And here you should select MHDD from the Hard Disk Tools menu.
When MHDD will load you should see the drive selection screen, here you select your hard drive(it should be master, as MHDD cannot see slave ones):

After the drive selection you will see this screen:

Here you should activate "Erase delays" (ON), and after that when you will press enter the scan will start.

P.S. you better burn the ISO on a CD as with the USB method it seems you don't succeed :), also you could burn the ISO through Ultra ISO, Power ISO, Nero, if you have one of those installed just open the ISO( double click).

I paid for it. I don't get what's the connection between them.

Well it's obviously an avast component library, and  not sure(we'd need actually a confirmation from an avast dev.) but it seems to be sandbox related.
If you could say what does it say about this dll, or it's just dispalying  a missing component dialog ?
Well describe please the boot sittuation more detailed, what does it display ?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:33:57 PM by Sparxx »

Alira

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 01:44:16 AM »
Weird that menu didn't show up. I'll try burning CD to USB and see the result.

Alira

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 04:21:08 PM »
Alright. Thanks for your help Sparxx although none of your method works. The only thing I did was to access my drive through Hiren's mini Windows XP and renamed the folder back to its name. My computer works now.

Sparxx

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
Well i was thinking to give you that idea, but was waiting for your feedback :) .
Glad you solved your problem, now you can modify the thread's name as Resolved <thread name>.
Good luck ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:59:51 PM by Sparxx »