Author Topic: atapi.sys error - blue screen after update or scan  (Read 13583 times)

firstcomp

Re: atapi.sys error - blue screen after update or scan
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »
What does PPL have contributed to this thread with error confirmation & attached INFO.  Is there a fix available?

firstcomp

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 04:25:11 PM »
The SSPD service is the last info item in event viewer before the crash.  So I took a look at that but it bsod'd anyway.

firstcomp

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »
Did Atlantis1975 solve this problem?

firstcomp

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 04:33:41 PM »
Did one_noob solve this?

jester4519

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
Wow, this thread is so familiar to me.  I was having the same exact issue on my laptop after upgrading to Avast 6 Free.  I would get occasional BSOD crashes and atapi.sys was always listed as the cause.  I initially thought it was hardware related too.  Ran every diagnostic I could and nothing found any errors - memtest, seatools, etc.  Then, one day
I tried to run a quick scan with Avast and it BSOD'd instantly as soon as the scan started (atapi.sys again).  Did that 3 times in a row.  That is what made me think the new version of Avast was causing the problem so I uninstalled it and replaced it with MSE.  After that, no more crashes.  This was after I had problems on my desktop with Avast 6 Free too.  Not BSOD, but it was hanging whenever I ran a scan with it.  I had several threads on this a few weeks ago and tried everything suggested but the problem persisted so I put MSE on that machine too.  My 3rd PC is still Running Avast 5 and that one has no problems so all of this leads me to think something is quirky in version 6.  I'd prefer to return to Avast in favor of MSE but I'm going to hold off until it looks like whatever was causing the issues has been found and corrected.  I've been using Avast since 2005 (I think) and have always been a fan so I hope to return to it.

firstcomp

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »
Have 2 identical Dell D610's, one runs Avast 6 free just great, the other one bsod's as soon as I install Avast.
No one has any answer.  I have looked at everything side by side on both of them.  Debugging tools say atapi.sys problem.  Really want to find out why?

Grimnir

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
I seem to be having the exact same problem. And with Avast disabled I have no more problems. Here is my post on this: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73795.msg615740#msg615740
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:08:10 PM by Grimnir »