Author Topic: Oops Up-date from 5.1.667 shut down internet connection  (Read 3974 times)

tomtomboombang

Oops Up-date from 5.1.667 shut down internet connection
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
I'm running XP on the old 32 bit single processor home PC.  Am a long time fan of Avasti, and put it on my son's newer dual processor home PC too.   Got a notification last night to up-date to the newer version on the old PC; but the new version shut down the Avasti real-time web shield and knocked out the PC's cable connection.  :o

Had to remove Avasti to get online again. COMODO firewall has worked well with Avasti up until now and shows no sign of interference. Thought maybe it was a glitch from having other programs running in the background at start-up so I clean installed.  The new install worked until I rebooted; and then shut down shield and knocked me off again.

Logs said I had not used Avasti for three months and did not note the re-register point last month.

I ran spybot and adware to see if there was a Trojan attached.  Nope.

I am waiting for notification of a fix.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Oops Up-date from 5.1.667 shut down internet connection
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:07:02 PM »
I ran spybot and adware to see if there was a Trojan attached.  Nope.

Which avast did you update..??
Which XP are you using..??
Which other security related programs are installed..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

tomtomboombang

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »
Avasti free, new version is 5.1.889 custom load, no chrome.
Running XP home with serv pack 2.  MS auto-update is off, I only custom load the MS fixes I need.
Only other security in the tray is COMODO Firewall Pro, custom load, that I use instead of MS firewall.
Cable connection is 24/7

Neither the primary Firefox nor seldom used MS Explorer work after the Avasti up-date.  Interface with Avasti program shows real time web shield is knocked off and can not be turned back on. Neither FIX or buttons will restore shield. 

sded

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:53 PM »
Can you send and receive mail or are you completely disconnected from the internet?  A quick check to see if you are affected by any of the Behavior Shield issues.  Go to add/remove programs (Programs and Features?) and select avast/change.  Uncheck behavior shield and reboot.   Or if avast! is no longer installed, do a custom installation without behavior shield.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:35:08 PM by sded »

tomtomboombang

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:42:02 PM »
the up-date shuts down all internet.
Okay, I will re-install and turn off the behavior shield.

tomtomboombang

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:11:21 AM »
Well that did not go well.. ???

New custom install, with Behavior shield left unchecked,  resulted in a scan loop.  Canceled scan after 2 hours and rebooted.  It said "thanks."  Reboot: Avasti welcomed and congratulated me, and then gave me the same results as last night,,, "error 10022, system is not protected."  Interface with Avasti says Web shield was shut off, Behavior was not shut off in opposition to custome request. Cable Internet was turned off so I could not contact you.

And Avasti behaved badly there after...

Newest wrinkle:  Froze the PC's OS after a few moments.  Task Manager would not come up.  I had to shut down using the "on button."  It did not reboot into safe mode, so I uninstalled Avasti again ASAP,  to get the PC working again.

Horrible stuff happening via my favorite anti-virus software.  Avasti is so much better than the 10 in 1 monsters the big guys are selling.

I am guessing your new up-date is hacked and high jacked by Mr Softee.  XP is about to get dropped and the old open source thief is up to his Devil-like tricks again.  Win 7 is supposed to be the new Messiah, but 75% of the quad core 64 bit puters, are still operating in Win 7-- 32 bit mode.

I am surprised so many Avasti fans are going to Win 7 64bit, unless you are video game designers.

Let me know if you think it can be "tweaked" or fixed. 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
Running XP home with serv pack 2.  MS auto-update is off, I only custom load the MS fixes I need.

Please update your XP to SP3...!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »
I am surprised so many Avasti fans are going to Win 7 64bit, unless you are video game designers.
I'm not a video game designer but I do like Windows 7.  

Update to at least XP SP3:
Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

tomtomboombang

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:15:42 AM »
Installed XP SP3, removed COMODO Pro firewall.  System rebooted slowly but okay.

Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 12:01:02 PM »
Installed XP SP3, removed COMODO Pro firewall.  System rebooted slowly but okay.

Thanks

You're welcome..!
asyn