Author Topic: OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6.0-DOES AVAST SCAN THIS?  (Read 3238 times)

deep purple

OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6.0-DOES AVAST SCAN THIS?
« on: August 31, 2004, 11:22:40 PM »
 ::)Question?,might have been asked before sorry if it has,does AVAST 4.0 scan OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6.0 for incoming and OUTGOING mail?Thankyou.

regards

deep purple

testy

Re:OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6.0-DOES AVAST SCAN THIS?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 11:36:04 PM »
Go to start, programs, Avast and use mail wizard.  Use the internet mail category for OE 6.

deep purple

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 11:52:21 PM »
Go to start, programs, Avast and use mail wizard.  Use the internet mail category for OE 6.
thankf for your reply i have done as you suggested to the point where it says- SMPT SERVER and i have smpt freeserve(who i use for ougoing mail) and default POP3 server as pop freeserve.com,is that correct?

bestt regards

deep purple

testy

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 04:33:58 AM »
yes, you should reach a screen that lists all your e-mail accounts on OE 6.  If I were you I would send the Eicar test virus (search for it on google) to make sure everything is working.  Be sure to disable Avast before getting the test virus and starting it up again after.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 07:12:16 AM »
dp,

Avast and OE 6 work fine togther.

Your server settings should be both 127.0.0.1 with the server names:
username#pop.freeserve.com
username#smtp.freeserve.com

If the server names ARE NOT preceeded by your freeserve username, then Avast is not properly configured.

You can use the Mail Protection Wizard found in the Programs folder, or set it up manually though OE Options.

I can give you instruction if you need.

PS:  You do not need to use the Eicar to test Avast.
If you enable the "Insert Message into clean mail" for POP, SMTP and IMAP, then you can "see" if Avast is scanning the email.  This also is very easy to do within the On Access Protection Control (right click on the A ball in the tray.....find Internet Mail module on the right....Click on it to open the menu....then, open the tabs for POP, SMTP and IMAP.  Check the box to insert message into clean mail.
Now, send yourself an email.  You should see a note in the return email "Incoming..Avast"  and "Outgoing Avast".

Good luck.