Author Topic: update process (avast.setup) interferes with computer bootup  (Read 9811 times)

JohnnyBob

update process (avast.setup) interferes with computer bootup
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
I've used free avast! for a long time, going back to v3, now running v5.1.889. If it matters, I'm running Windows XP Home SP3 on a single core AMD 2GHz processor with 1GB RAM and lots of free hard drive space. That's a bit slow by today's standards but fast enough for my usual tasks.

Recently I've noticed that when I restart my computer there's a temporary process named avast.setup which lengthens with my bootup time significantly. It has high processor usage of 75%+ which delays the effective time when I can begin using my computer by a minute or two, sometimes longer. That's very annoying! Sometimes I reboot several times per day and I want to begin using my computer again ASAP.

So I've turned off automatic updates and switched to manual updates, which causes a yellow warning triangle to appear on the avast icon in systray warning me that my system is not fully protected. I don't like that solution.

Is there any way to delay the avast.setup process from activating for 10-20 minutes (or longer) after bootup? I recall that used to be possible with the older v3/v4 versions by editing the avast.ini file. Is that still possible? How?

That's my main gripe for today. :)

Thanks for your valuable time.

YoKenny

Re: update process (avast.setup) interferes with computer bootup
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice and you won't have to keep entering your AMD 2GHz processor with 1GB RAM with each request for help.

Right click on the avast! icon in the taskbar then Open avast! user interface then SETTINGS then Troubleshooting then select Load avast! services only after loading other system services

JohnnyBob

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »
Thanks, but that only gives a 10-15 seconds delay in activation of avast.setup.
I want to delay it by at least 5-10 minutes.
Is that possible?

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:28 PM »
Hopefully DavidR will help with this as I do not know how to delay the update process further.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
Just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast5.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:38:55 PM »
This is what I've done to delay commencement of update by two and a half minutes. Seems to work. Note the new default location of Avast5.ini - (Red border near the top.)
I'd not suggest trying to delay it by as much as you are suggesting, try setting it to, say, 180 or 240 (seconds) to start off with, see how that goes.
Do you have a lot of ancillary stuff starting with Windows, that maybe doesn't have to?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:40:41 PM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
Thanks. That works fine. I set mine for 5 minutes (300 seconds), used a stop watch, and it's right on the money. The point is that when I restart my computer I usually want to start some application(s) immediately, without slowdowns or interference. 5 minutes seems OK because I don't notice the slowdown thereafter.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
You might want to have a look at an app recommended to me (and anyone reading at the time) by Tech, called Startup Delayer.
You can configure it so any program is delayed from loading by the number of seconds you specify for each one. This might help smooth the process. Worth a look, especially where cpu/ram is a little lacking.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

stxNTrm06

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:10:29 AM »
"...turned off automatic updates and switched to manual updates, which causes a yellow warning triangle to appear on the avast icon in systray warning me that my system is not fully protected..."

To avoid the yellow warning triangle in manual mode, apply the following setting:

Open avast! user interface > Settings > Status Bar > Components Monitored > Uncheck "Definitions auto updates" option > OK

Thanks.  :-[

drakester303

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »
Just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast5.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.

I am running Windows XP as the sole admin.

Even if I disable all of Avast's services and go into Windows Explorer and uncheck the Read-Only Attribute to the entire directory, it still will not permit any modification of avast5.ini. "Access Denied." I notice that the Read-Only attribute is checked again by some kind of automatic process.

How can the avast5.ini file be modified?

I would like to add that avast.setup usually adds 2 to 3 minutes to the bootup time on my system. I am staring at a blank screen of Windows wallpaper. When I press CTRL-ALT-DEL, I observe avast.setup is the only process using processor time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:39:58 PM by drakester303 »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)

This is probably down to the avast self defense module.

Normally editing the ini files is possible with Notepad, as avast is built to work with it and the self defense...

Another option would be to disable the self defense module temporarily.

Open avast --> Settings --> Troubleshooting --> UNcheck "Enable avast self defense module"

Remember to enable it again after the ini change is complete.

Scott

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »
Use notepad to do the edit it is the only text editor with write permission to avast5.ini and once you save the changes the avast self-defence module will ask you to confirm the changes, obviously answer Yes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drakester303

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »
Use notepad to do the edit it is the only text editor with write permission to avast5.ini and once you save the changes the avast self-defence module will ask you to confirm the changes, obviously answer Yes.

Thanks, that did the trick. I had been using Notepad++ ( http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ ) to do the edit. Haven't used Windows' Notepad in quite a while, but it did have permission.

After changing avast5.ini, I rebooted and observed using ctrl-alt-del (Task Manager) to monitor the processes and processor usage. avast.setup did not come up as before, so I believe the change had the expected effect.

However, and this may be helpful to other users, I don't think this change made a big difference in start-up time--maybe a few seconds at most. I'm not really sure what causes the actual delays in boot time, but after trying this fix, I'm not persuaded that the update check makes that much difference.

I am also running ZoneAlarm Firewall and it is entirely possible that the Firewall is causing some kind of delay as well. I noticed several instances of svchost.exe running, but have no idea what they are for. I run Windows XP SP3. The system overall does seem slower now than when I first installed it, and bootup times have only increased. But Windows 7 is not a tempting alternative, since it requires throwing most existing hardware into the bin.

Super fast response on this forum, by the way. Quite amazing in fact.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:19:58 PM by drakester303 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
You're welcome.

You could try extending the delay to 120 or 180.

I haven't used ZA for an eternity and am certainly not a fan any longer, some rate it many hate it, it is now much more bloated than it was in its glory days. It also rather depends on what version of ZA you are using as some, even the free versions came with all sores of trial functions, AV, anti-spyware and that cab conflict with your already installed security applications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drakester303

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »
You're welcome.

You could try extending the delay to 120 or 180.

I haven't used ZA for an eternity and am certainly not a fan any longer, some rate it many hate it, it is now much more bloated than it was in its glory days. It also rather depends on what version of ZA you are using as some, even the free versions came with all sores of trial functions, AV, anti-spyware and that cab conflict with your already installed security applications.

I'm inclined to agree with your analysis of ZoneAlarm. What I like about ZA is that it allows me program-level control over internet access. Windows Firewall seems to be easily circumvented by programs that simply undo whatever setting I choose for them. ZA also informs me whenever a new process attempts to access the internet. What I dislike about ZA are the pop-up nag windows that arise about every 30-60 days along with the frequent updates that try to install toolbars into my browser or other applications that I don't want. I think ZA is getting out of their zone of expertise when they try to be all things, bloatware as you say.

Another problem with ZA is that it grants Internet-zone server access to applications sometimes, and in such cases I don't understand why the app needs Internet-zone server access. That seems like a big security hole to me. I always block that sort of thing if I catch it, but I have to monitor Zone Alarm's lengthy list of permissions on a regular basis in order to detect such issues. ZA does require that I approve internet access, but granting permission to access the internet is a far, far cry from granting permission to transform my PC into what appears to be a public server.

Also, a huge problem with ZA is that the list of permissions is continually ballooning. After using ZA for a year, it is common to have over 100 - 200 programs listed, many of them listed a dozen times due to updates, although they are the exact same program. I don't know what the ZA team is working on with their updates, when their program is so stupid that it cannot detect that the user has updated Firefox from version 3.16 to 4.0.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:41:11 PM by drakester303 »