Author Topic: Avast blocking network access with Windows 7  (Read 20818 times)

istklaus

Avast blocking network access with Windows 7
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:25:18 PM »
Hi,

having just upgraded to Windows 7 I followed a recommendation and bought AIS last week, when I upgraded Windows it automatically detedted my home (wired) network and worked fine. Once I installed Avast I had no network access, on checking all I could see was an unidentified network with no network access.

I have checked that Avast is set to a Home zone, that the network adapter drivers are up to date, run all the troubleshooters etc. but still can get no network access.

Strangely however in desperation I decided to try to connect wirelessly and this works.

I have no other security software running so am at a loss what to do next, ist there some incompatability between AIS and Windows 7.

I am not especially clued up on these things so may be missing something obvious, anyhelp greatly welcomed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast blocking network access with Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »
I've installed AIS in 2 computers with Windows 7, 32bits and 64bits. No problems on detecting the network.
What is even more strange in your case is that you've done Windows 7 installing right now...
Did you upgrade or format/reinstall Windows 7?
The best things in life are free.

simonk83

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
Hi,

having just upgraded to Windows 7 I followed a recommendation and bought AIS last week, when I upgraded Windows it automatically detedted my home (wired) network and worked fine. Once I installed Avast I had no network access, on checking all I could see was an unidentified network with no network access.

I have checked that Avast is set to a Home zone, that the network adapter drivers are up to date, run all the troubleshooters etc. but still can get no network access.

Strangely however in desperation I decided to try to connect wirelessly and this works.

I have no other security software running so am at a loss what to do next, ist there some incompatability between AIS and Windows 7.

I am not especially clued up on these things so may be missing something obvious, anyhelp greatly welcomed.

Try disabling the Web Shield, see if that helps.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:10:54 PM »
Don't offer advice that you have no knowledge about.

Tech will help this user.

istklaus

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »
Hi Tech,

it was an upgrade, initially had problem with the upgrade not installing and rolling back but then I removed Kaspersky Internet Sewcurity and it went through with no problem and everything was apparently fine until this network problem on installing Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

istklaus

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:52:37 PM »
Ok I have run both the KAV remover and the ice-kav registry cleaner, in the report from the latter it flagged these files which it could not remove:
Could NOT delete   C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avs.ppl.1217624210_2553_4126.removeOnNextReboot
Could NOT delete   C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avspm.ppl.1217624210_2553_4126.removeOnNextReboot
Could NOT delete   C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\CKAHUM.dll.1217624210_2553_4126.removeOnNextReboot
Could NOT delete   C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\hips.ppl.1217624210_2553_4126.removeOnNextReboot
Could NOT delete   C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\NetWatch.ppl.1217624210_2553_4126.removeOnNextReboot
Could NOT delete   C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\pdm2rt.ppl.1217624210_2553_4126.removeOnNextReboot
Could NOT delete   C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\stat.ppl.1217624210_2553_4126.removeOnNextReboot
Could NOT delete   C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\TempFile.ppl.1217624210_2553_4126.removeOnNextReboot

Looking for them on my computer it seems they date from 2008, can I simply delete them or do I need to do something else to ensure they are completely gone?

N.B. I have rebooted at each stage and so far no luck with the network connection.

istklaus

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »
Any ideas anyone?

Given the complete lack of response to my report to the tech support team I am beginning to think I will have to write off my investment in Avast and try something else :'(

MAG

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 06:57:29 PM »
Any ideas anyone?

Given the complete lack of response to my report to the tech support team I am beginning to think I will have to write off my investment in Avast and try something else :'(
If by the 'tech support team' you mean Tech on this forum, he doesn't work for avast, he's just an avast user trying to help, and may well be busy with other things in his life!

(If you mean you submitted a ticket to avast support and got no reponse I agree that would be disappointing.)

Hopefully now that you have bumped your problem back up the page someone may come along who can help.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Have you had windows 7 check the network connection for you ?
Right click the network in your tray

Select troubleshoot and then get it to check out connection problems

istklaus

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:16:25 PM »
Apologies if my previous post sounded as if I was having a go, I wasn't getting at anyone on here, I appreciate that everyone is trying to help in their own time because they are interested and it is very welcome. I have actually submitted a 'ticket' to the official tech support guys and it is their response that has been underwhelming and gotten me a bit tetchy.

Anyway back to the theme; I have tried the troubleshooters they usually get to the point where they say they are resetting the network adapter and then run out of ideas although on a couple of occasions they returned error 651 which I have not been able to locate any sensible info on in this context.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
Have a look here http://ghost301tech.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/error-651-in-windows-7-a-killer-for-internet-connectionvpn/

Microsoft Virtual PC is an application that has been reported as causing this issue
If you check in "Programs and Features" in "Control Panel", you may have this installed.
Since it has been related to causing the error code: 651, I suggest that if you 1, Have it installed 2. Don't require it. Then please uninstall it.
The RAS PPPoE driver file “raspppoe.sys” found under c:\windows\system32\drivers folder seems to be the root cause of the problem. Fortunately, we can workaround the problem simply by renaming the original raspppoe.sys file to something like “raspppoe_orig.sys” copying a working file from a Windows Vista system. If you do not have access to a Windows Vista system. click here to download raspppoe.sys file (unzip).

istklaus

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
Eventually got an answer to my ticket to the technical support team, thought I would post it here in case anyone else has similar problems:

could you please check if the issue is caused by avast! Web Shield (try to stop it temporary) or by avast! Firewall (in the properties of the corresponding network adapter, disable "avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Driver")?

The second part about disabling the filter driver solved the problem, did not even have to re-start it connected immediately, faith in avast restored.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

simonk83

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 04:01:10 AM »

Don't offer advice that you have no knowledge about.

Tech will help this user.
Eventually got an answer to my ticket:

could you please check if the issue is caused by avast! Web Shield (try to stop it temporary)

Lol :D

SkyDrive1

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 05:03:14 AM »
WoW!!