Author Topic: Introducing: avast! BART CD 2.0 Beta1  (Read 30959 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Introducing: avast! BART CD 2.0 Beta1
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2004, 08:18:47 AM »
I just downloaded and tried Build 4.1.415.0

Ehm, are you sure about the build number? It should be something like 2.0.xxx. :) I hope you were not testing a totally different program ;D

Can you explain further the "Add-on Files" capability that comes up during installation of the beta?

Many people wanted to add custom files to the CD (simple utilities, docs etc). This feature lets them add any folder they prepare on their HDD to the resulting ISO image.

Future Enhancements: In addition to my previous suggestion of f-disk type program,

Are you proficient with the WinXP diskpart program? It's quite powerful (if you know how to use it). Here's an undocumented tip: the diskpart.exe is in fact included on the CD. Its in the \windows\system32 folder.

updatable anti-spybot program.

This may not be so far from reality -- it depends on the scanning capabilities of avast. We will always include the best of avast on the BART CD...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

w0mbat

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2004, 08:32:38 AM »
Downloading the update now.
Will be on holdays for a few weeks but will test as much as can before going.

Hey Summit, I use the 'add on files path' to a directory on my local (c:\) drive that has all the files from this website
Code: [Select]
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.htmlas well as a few other apps, like hijackthis, cswshredder and a couple of apps to controll system startup. I use Salimander to run the apps.
The main useage I see it as, is to add extra fuctionalilty to BART without AVAST having to get licences to include those apps, as we already have the applications. The good thing is most are freeware or at least shareware :)

You 'should' be able to run a freeware type of spyware app, like ad-aware using the 'add files dir'. the issue will be if it has any registry entries that are critical rather than just files.
If i get time I will try to play with this.

Printers may be a bit hard to support as there are so many, but perhaps a basic 'print to file' or a freeware PDF creator that saves to C:\ so it can be printed later when the computer could be accessed correctly?

It's all good :)

Cheers, and thanks Avast for supporting BART.

w0mbat

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2004, 09:34:32 AM »
XP SP1a
DELL Inspiron.

Reg cleaner: after scan, reported not being able to find 3 keys in 'registered file types" area durring removal. A second scan found them again and was able to remove.
SOFTWARE\Classes\(keys)

Event viewer: I get the "Initalizing now " splash screen for about 2 secs, then an eror message flashes behind the splash screen and Event viewer shuts down, back to main menu.

Junk file remover:  Fails to remove all .tmp files, some from c:\windows\set(x).tmp
c:\docs and settings\path\locals settings\IEC18.tmp
another scan finds them but cannot delete.

Registry Editor: _user_systemprofile could not be opened. Do not know if this a fault. Just noting it :)

Cheers

w0mbat

ssummit

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2004, 11:54:52 PM »
The build number is from the "About" screen on the "B.A.R.T. 2.0 Beta" main screen.  (I used the servers.def that I downloaded yesterday.)

ssummit

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 03:26:30 PM »
Anything further on the release of BART CD 2.0?

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 03:13:59 PM »
Reg cleaner: after scan, reported not being able to find 3 keys in 'registered file types" area durring removal. A second scan found them again and was able to remove.
SOFTWARE\Classes\(keys)

That may occur. There are some dependencies between tested keys and its possible, that one deleted useless key will produce another useless key, but it's not very common.  The solution is to perform multiple scans.

Event viewer: I get the "Initalizing now " splash screen for about 2 secs, then an eror message flashes behind the splash screen and Event viewer shuts down, back to main menu.

Does it happen frequently? Possible cause can be a bug in event log record reading. So, I'll need your event logs to analyze them (<windir>\system32\config\*.evt).

Junk file remover:  Fails to remove all .tmp files, some from c:\windows\set(x).tmp
c:\docs and settings\path\locals settings\IEC18.tmp
another scan finds them but cannot delete.

What message does it show? Are the files write protected?

Registry Editor: _user_systemprofile could not be opened. Do not know if this a fault. Just noting it :)

You're right. It should be closed, but it's not a bug, but rather inconvenient behavior.

w0mbat

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 04:17:06 AM »
version 2.0.90 appears to be working correctly.

Good stuff :)

johnt2004

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2004, 11:17:47 PM »
Error during file delete on after virus scan.
Using version downloaded and install Aug 27, 2004

MS Visual C++
AvastPE.exe
Runtime Error

System had 3 virus detected:
2x  Win32:Trojano-247
1x  Win32:Trojano-248

I have been scanning this system over and over yet after rebooting it to normal mode (Windows XP Home SP1 then Kaspersky and BART redetect these viruses - I now realize that this must be some nasty spyware that keeps reloading and is a false (sort of :) ) positive as a virus.
I'm now trying to eradicate the spyware - when can we start classifying this crap as virus and start suing the makers  >:(

Let me know if you need more info...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2004, 11:22:49 PM »
At which stage do you get the runtime error, exactly?
Did you have the chance to remove the infected files?

To find out whether these are false positives, you can send the files to virus@avast.com -- the virus guys will have a look at the files and will let you know...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

johnt2004

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2004, 11:38:04 PM »
The error occured when the 'deleting items bar ' was  going across the screen i think.

I will rerun the scan and try to recreate, oh, I'm just manually removing all suspect exe's but think I know which one it was, happened this AM - thats like 72 hours ago in an IT techs life... :(

johnt2004

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2004, 07:03:09 PM »
I reran the scan but could not recreate the problem sorry.
It did dedect the trojans again  and I will send the file to your techs. It only detects a virus when I set it to thorough mode - previous version was also detecting these as virus too.
I uploaded the file virustotal and it came back with this report:
Scan results
 File: ms7B.tmp
 Date: 08/31/2004 18:56:40
----
BitDefender   7.0/20040831   found nothing
ClamWin   devel-20040822/20040830   found nothing
eTrustAV-Inoc   4641/20040728   found nothing
Kaspersky   4.0.2.24/20040831   found nothing
McAfee   4388/20040825   found nothing
NOD32v2   1.853/20040830   found [Win32/TrojanDownloader.Agent.BF]
Norman   5.70.10/20040831   found nothing