Author Topic: HELP COMPUTER KEEPS FREEZING  (Read 3495 times)

KNOWLEDGE

HELP COMPUTER KEEPS FREEZING
« on: September 01, 2004, 07:48:58 AM »
I´m Using Avast Home Edition 4.1 build 4.1.418
(registered), vps: 0432-1...... AND I'M USING WINDOWS XP
EVERYTIME MY AVAST GETS HALFWAY THREW THE VIRUS SCAN IT FREEZES UP, COULD IT BE THAT A VIRUS IS PROHIBITING AVAST FROM FUNCTIONALLY PROPERLY?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:HELP COMPUTER KEEPS FREEZING
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 09:51:21 AM »
I think it's rather unlikely... but there could be a file that avast! is having problems with.
A few questions:
What are the settings of the scan? (i.e. is it quick/standard/thorough, is the "archives" checkbox checked?)
Where does the scan stop (i.e. what is the name of the folder)?

Please go to the program Settings and turn on the generation of the report file. In the configuration, mark all kinds of files to be included in the report (even "OK files", which will make the report quite huge).
Now, run the scan again... when the scan freezes, check the end of the report file - the last scanned file should be close to the end.

KNOWLEDGE

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 01:16:47 PM »
ITS ON THOUROUGH SCAN AND ALL THE FILES ARE CHECKED TO BE SCANED AND THE FIRDT TIME IT SOPPED SOME WHERE ALONG MY PICTURES, THEN I DISABLED VRDB AND IT SCANED MORE THAN THE FIRST TIME, BUT AFTER AWHILE IT FROZE AGAIN, ALSO WHEN I FIRST ENCOUNTERED A COUPLE OF TROJANS I PRESS DELETE INSTEAD OF REPAIR, DO YOU THINK MAYBE BECAUSE OF THAT ITS FREEZING UP MY COMPUTER?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 01:23:51 PM »
Why are you scanning with an old vps? The one you are using is almost 1 month old and many things have changed since then. There was a vps version (could be the one you are using) that reported quit a lot of false positives for a certain trojan. This was fixed in a later vps. I suggest you first update Avast and than run a scan.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 01:25:19 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 09:23:46 PM »
Generally, deleting trojans is the only way to get rid from them as they could not be a file (and so, be deleted).
Please, follow Eddy's suggestion and, you don't mind, turn off the caps as you are not blaming with us (this is the forum protocol  ;D).
The best things in life are free.