Author Topic: AvastUI.exe connecting to internet despite setting it off  (Read 21143 times)

ixjhveayinrz

Re: AvastUI.exe connecting to internet despite setting it off
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
I do not want any advertising in my program - I paid for avast!

Please fix this bug, or at least give us an option to disable this connection if it is truly advertising related (in fact, please let us disable this connection no matter what it is related to).

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
Can I get some comments from a developer - so that I know that this bug is (or will be) worked on?

Maybe igor can comment.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
I'm no developer, but mitchell64 is correct.

avastUI connects to get the ad, and the news in the summary page.
(not sure about the ad in the paid versions?)

Block it with the firewall, and you don't see it. Simple as that.

It is not a bug.

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »
My policy is to remove the internet connection request, as opposed to simply blocking it. It is better if something simply does not happen than to have to block it...

And yes, it is a bug because it should be possible to disable it - because it is stated in the avast privacy policy. Hence if it is not possible to block the request, it is a bug because it does not adhere to the specifications set in the privacy policy.

And given that it happens in the paid version of avast, it is most definitely a bug.

So I would like to have some avast developer comment.

If it is not possible to disable it for all users of avast, then I would ask for a simple patch that only I would receive and would apply every time a new version of avast pro is released.

YoKenny

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
Everyone always has something left to learn - for example, I have yet to learn how to operate Windows Vista/7 without causing a BSOD after 30 seconds, but you can not disagree with something that is a fact wether you like it or not.
You sure have a lot to learn.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »
And yes, it is a bug because it should be possible to disable it - because it is stated in the avast privacy policy.

Erm, where exactly is this stated in the privacy policy?
Submitting data and making a connection are two different things. Besides, making just a DNS query isn't even a connection to avast! server - it's just a question to resolve the particular IP.

So, maybe the UI doesn't behave completely logical (the DNS check could possibly be done only before it's really needed - and yes, there will always be a possibility of a connection out, e.g. when the license is about the expire - at least I believe so, not 100% sure), and maybe someone checks if it can be improved when time permits - but personally I would hardly call it a bug. It certainly would have a very low priority, sorry.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:46:34 PM by igor »

High_Treason

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »
If all internet options are turned off then there should be NO connections to the internet, why do developers find this so hard to grasp today? Google programs are the worst for it, constantly opening a connection to 1e100.net.

Incidentally, it appears Avast 4.8 behaves a little better, but apparently that's going to brick itself so that is completely worthless.

Haha, you're funny.
No, but seriously, those Operating Systems always crash when I use them, hence my next computer will use Kubuntu Linux which will also make my cross-platform C++ and Assembly programming easier.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
If there were any option saying "avoid any internet connections", then yes - but there's no such option in avast!.
You can configure automatic updates, showing of online content (i.e. behavior of specific actions, not connections)... but nowhere it says that there won't be any other connection - what's so hard to grasp about that?

2nd base

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »
Everyone always has something left to learn - for example, I have yet to learn how to operate Windows Vista/7 without causing a BSOD after 30 seconds, but you can not disagree with something that is a fact wether you like it or not.

He/she did provide a good assessment though in the entire context of the previous post.

It certainly didn't take me long to figure out that such things as itunes and avast! don't mix.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
If you read the OPs first post you will see he is using the avast Pro version so there is no Ad display (only in the free version).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »
I thought as much...Then it is just the news service that it connects for...

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »
If there were any option saying "avoid any internet connections", then yes - but there's no such option in avast!.
You can configure automatic updates, showing of online content (i.e. behavior of specific actions, not connections)... but nowhere it says that there won't be any other connection - what's so hard to grasp about that?

I would then like to ask to please include such option in the next version of avast - and if not possible then I would like to ask for a specific patch that enables just me to disable these things because it is a requirement for the computers that I work on (medical facility).

Besides, making just a DNS query isn't even a connection to avast! server - it's just a question to resolve the particular IP.

So, maybe the UI doesn't behave completely logical (the DNS check could possibly be done only before it's really needed - and yes, there will always be a possibility of a connection out, e.g. when the license is about the expire - at least I believe so, not 100% sure), and maybe someone checks if it can be improved when time permits - but personally I would hardly call it a bug. It certainly would have a very low priority, sorry.

On a separate (less strict on sensitive data) I checked and the same phenomenon appearead - however I allowed the DNS request to proceed, and avast then downloaded hundreds of kilobytes of data from avast servers (checked from IP address). So it is not just a DNS request - it is an actual connection to avast servers, uploading and downloading unknown (and not requested by the user) data.

So yes, I understand that it is a low priority for avast and most of its users - hence I would like to ask to have just a patch for me so that I can disable it and deploy avast on machines containing sensitive data.

Could it at least be put on the avast team's todo list (with a low priority)?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »
AvastUI.exe process (i.e. not AvastSvc.exe), with the settings mentioned before, downloaded hundreds of kilobytes of data? That's kinda interesting...

Anyway, making "just a patch" requires about the same effort as implementing such an option. So, my advice is - block the process with a firewall; it's by far the easiest and fastest solution for you.

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »
The way I can see this resolved is to add a secret switch to avast5.ini that would disable this network communication (and you can PM me the switch so that no one else knows about it).

Sparxx

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 08:34:13 PM »
They're not going to implement this feature just because of you, when an entire community asks for other improvements, more important, sorry but that's the truth, but i suppose you as a programmer must know this.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:37:57 PM by Sparxx »