Author Topic: AvastUI.exe connecting to internet despite setting it off  (Read 21247 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AvastUI.exe connecting to internet despite setting it off
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2011, 03:16:13 PM »
Not trusting a company is not a permanent state of mind - it can be changed if the company listens to its users suggestions - that is how you gain trust as a company. I will not blindly trust anyone without them earning my trust.
I do not blindly trust in any company either.
But, or you trust or you don't. Seems you don't trust avast.
The company will listen open minded, not blindly, the user wishes.

How do I guarantee that the company does not have any backdoors?
avast is a security company. There isn't any backdoor.
I can't say anything about your network as I'm not on it :)

How do I guarantee that some employee of that company will not go on a rampage and sell all data? There are many more other problems with it...
It won't be an antivirus or a firewall that will avoid that...

Exactly, nothing suspicious if the automatic connections are set so - BUT it is suspicious if the automatic connections are set off, you have to agree with this if you are a smart computer user.
Which are these connections? WebShield does not connect, just scan the connections...
There is nothing suspicious with some of avast connections.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
What they will see is avast initiating a connection that the user did not expect to happen. Hence something wrong.
Again... Is it WebShield? It does not initiate the connection, the user does, it only scans.
The best things in life are free.

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2011, 03:40:40 PM »
What they will see is avast initiating a connection that the user did not expect to happen. Hence something wrong.
Again... Is it WebShield? It does not initiate the connection, the user does, it only scans.
No webshield - if you read my posts you will see that I only installed filesystem shield.

In my previous post I did not talk about avast in particular, but about the "cloud" in general. I have no problem with avast as a company - I have used it for many years, since ~1995 when I was living in Prague. You can also see that I am not accusing avast or anything else - I am trying to solve this issue in a respectful manner, so I would not say I am a blind user.

jeff232

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2011, 03:20:41 AM »
i have the same issue - AVAST UI is connecting to the internet and sending up lots of data - my upload meter shows 40-50 KB/s(yes that's bytes) peak and i dont like this at all... i complained on another forum and the Avast rep over there said i prob have some malware but MBAM and SAS have never found anything....AVAST all of sudden opens up like 4-5 connection and they all say AVAST UI or AVAST GUI or AVAST SVC, something like that and i want know what's going on...this is the PAID version of AVAST IS and community "sharing" is OFF....there is no reason to send any volume of data up from my computer...
As far as I understand it avast webshield acts as your internet proxy, and avast mailshield acts as your mail client, so you are bound to get some outbound avastsvc connectivity (and probably same principle for P2P and IM, which I don't use).

If "show remote content in UI" is disabled and you still get avast news service that would sound to me like a bug (or at least a change in practice since I had AIS).

i don't use P2P or IM and very rarely use Thunderbird....i now turned off "show remote content" but i doubt that's it as all i'm concerned with is data leaving my computer, not much else...and the reason i paid for AVAST IS is for the nice Firewall>Network Connections GUI that shows what program is connecting out, dest IP, ports, speed in, speed out, bytes in, bytes out....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and i see others on here "don't you trust AVAST??" - its not about trust and btw no, i do not trust AVAST or anyone other software company when i see UNAUTHORIZED connections going out to the internet by their program....
AVAST DOES NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION TO SEND DATA UP AND DOWN WHENEVER THEY FEEL LIKE IT...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:29:29 AM by jeff232 »