Author Topic: WIndows 7 Backup failed 0x8078014b  (Read 6415 times)

Pedro Hin

WIndows 7 Backup failed 0x8078014b
« on: January 28, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »
AIS
DEF Version
110128-1  (D/L @ 02:47 CST)
PGM Version

Windows 7 Ultimate
Backup failed at 03:00 -- '0x8078014b Failed to create directory'

Tried to manually restart backup -- failed.

Temporarily disabled all shields, backup went ok.

Maybe just a temporary burp with the latest DEFs? ...just wanted to let you know.

Also, is there something I should do?

Pedro Hin

Re: WIndows 7 Backup failed 0x8078014b
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
I had a bit more time to play with this today.

When I disable 'File System Shield' only, I can successfully do a backup.

Is there anything I can try on the operating system side?

I tried to run a chkdsk from within Windows, but it said files were in use, so I verified that no critical files were open and disconnected 2 user sessions & successfully ran chkdsk with no errors.

With the users still disconnected, and file shield re-enabled, I still get the same failure code from Windows.

Pedro Hin

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »
I also want to add that the drive being backed up is the system volume "C:" 250GB SATA with 36GB in use. The backup destination is 500GB SATA -- internal.

Pedro Hin

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:01:45 PM »
Well, my problem went away. Backups are once again completing successfully.

But a bit of playing might have fixed that.

I have a 2nd unused 250GB drive in the system, so I thought since I cannot have automatic backups for now that I would set up Windows 7's built-in software RAID-1. After that, for a full day I perceived degraded performance, and Disk Management was in a persistent state of 'synchronizing' disks. This made me grumpy, so I decided to undo the mirror.

Windows would not let me remove the mirror from 'DISK2', only 'DISK0', I thought, 'what the hell, I have backups, let Windows have its way'.

So now with my system drive moved to a different physical disk (I checked the past 2 days) backups have been doing their thing.

I know that sometimes there is not a truly single fault or point of failure. It's frustrating when I fix PCs fora living, but then cannot figure out my own problems :/

I am considering my issue resolved.