Author Topic: Avast 5.1.889 locks up WinXP PC - Disabled File System Shield for now.  (Read 9426 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 5.1.889 locks up WinXP PC - Disabled File System Shield for now.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
The BhS in 5.1 seem's to play up in some system's causing a few conflict's here and there so try uninstalling the shield though add remove programs, reboot and see if you can enable your file system shield as that shield is essential for your safety, the next option would be to delet avast 5.1 all together,reboot into safe mode and run the removal tool then install avast 6 beta 2.
Disabling the BhS wont work, it has to be uninstalled.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:02:51 PM by craigb »

TMAnonAnon

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
For others who might want to know how to do this, I went to WinXP's Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Avast! -> Change/Remove, I choose the option called "Change" -> "Next", after a moment it shows me some options and I unchecked the BhS (Behavior shield).  After the BhS was uninstalled, I rebooted.

Next I opened Avast, I went to Real Time Shields and I started the File System Shield again.
Then clicked "Settings" -> "Status Bar" and put back the check-mark for the File System Shield.
Everything seemed fine, so I shut down the computer and restarted it.

So far the computer seems to be working fine!  :o
Thanks craigb for clarifying between disabling versus uninstalling the BhS.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »
No problem glad to help and glad to see your system is now working fine.

Decker

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 03:30:58 AM »
I also have that wierd registry entry.

But I also had some malware and trojans etc...

Basically I went on old Gaming sites looking for a nocd file for CIV3.
I did not download anything from those sites.  Yet they still infected my PC.

From the dates and time it looks like these events unfolded.
The Java 1.4xxx had a module changed, then a file called CmdLineExt.dll was dropped into Firefoxes temp folder.
(Java 1.4xx is on WinXP SP0 to SP2 but not found on SP3 or later, and it's not the Microsoft VM Java.)   ???
Anyways the CmdLineExt seemed to use something from Civ3 called SecuRom to do stuff and hide it all.
It put two random named EXE files in the temp folder and hid them.
And it placed many other files all over the PC.  I think 1 file was called ati97.dll and it was identified with having a "Virusless Virus"...  It also infected a couple documents on C drive.

So, it turns out it really was just my luck to have Avast update the next day & started messing up.
Unfortunately Avast didn't stop any of it.   :o

And just when I think the PC is cleared, I run a Avira and BitDefender LiveCDs and they still find stuff like "Script Trojans" and so on...
So, I'm going to wipe out that PC (I cant trust it now) and do a re-partition, followed by a disk format.

PS. I would've posted sooner but I had to wait for APC to send the replacement UPS, at least this older PC is still OK.  (shrug)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 03:42:27 AM »
I also have that wierd registry entry.

But I also had some malware and trojans etc...

Basically I went on old Gaming sites looking for a nocd file for CIV3.
I did not download anything from those sites.  Yet they still infected my PC.

From the dates and time it looks like these events unfolded.
The Java 1.4xxx had a module changed, then a file called CmdLineExt.dll was dropped into Firefoxes temp folder.
(Java 1.4xx is on WinXP SP0 to SP2 but not found on SP3 or later, and it's not the Microsoft VM Java.)   ???
Anyways the CmdLineExt seemed to use something from Civ3 called SecuRom to do stuff and hide it all.
It put two random named EXE files in the temp folder and hid them.
And it placed many other files all over the PC.  I think 1 file was called ati97.dll and it was identified with having a "Virusless Virus"...  It also infected a couple documents on C drive.

So, it turns out it really was just my luck to have Avast update the next day & started messing up.
Unfortunately Avast didn't stop any of it.   :o

And just when I think the PC is cleared, I run a Avira and BitDefender LiveCDs and they still find stuff like "Script Trojans" and so on...
So, I'm going to wipe out that PC (I cant trust it now) and do a re-partition, followed by a disk format.

PS. I would've posted sooner but I had to wait for APC to send the replacement UPS, at least this older PC is still OK.  (shrug)

Decker whats your post got to do with this thread  ???

mokkaman

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
goto avast settings -- troubleshooting and enable : load avast after other services.. this is recommended because, even if avast hangs/freezes or watever, your windows wil be working fine , and allow u to repair avast, reinstall etc  ;D

wtfwtfwtf

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 02:19:36 AM »
I kept having this problem in XP Pro Sp3 also I got another problem sometimes on boot "lsass an invalid handle was specified".
Basically I did a repair of avast and removed all other shields except the File System Shield and Mail Scanner.
Then because I have auto updates off in settings/status bar I unchecked monitor updates so then the ! went away.
But then every time I boot up the shields would not run and if I try to start them it locks up the whole pc.
And I found what was doing it, I had the BITS, (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) set to manual and it wasn't starting on boot.
When I set it to auto and started it then avast corrected that the mail and file shield was running.
But it still takes a while after booting up for Avast to know its shields are running.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
goto avast settings -- troubleshooting and enable : load avast after other services.. this is recommended because, even if avast hangs/freezes or watever, your windows wil be working fine , and allow u to repair avast, reinstall etc  ;D
This is twice now that you have posted the exact same ridiculous post which has no relevance to the thread.

mokkaman

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 05:38:54 AM »
the setting prevents the freezing of windows during startup and i by no means i find it irrelevant..

wtfwtfwtf

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »
the setting prevents the freezing of windows during startup and i by no means i find it irrelevant..
No it doesn't solve any problem at all I tried that first did nothing.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 10:30:03 AM »
It was irrelevant because it had nothing to do with the op's thread and the problem was solved before you even posted so it seems you were a little slow to the mark :D

TMAnonAnon

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
Just a quick update.
Computer is still working.   ;D
Thanks craigb

Thanks everyone for the help.

PS.  It looks like that weird registry entry (I mentioned before) was from registry corruption.
http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic24994_post125846.html#125846
I'm thinking now, that Avast's update has simply brought it to my attention.