Author Topic: default option in boot-time scan  (Read 4030 times)

viper260886

default option in boot-time scan
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:38:13 AM »
I remember Avast 4.8 had an option to set the DEFAULT ACTION in case a virus is found in the boot time scan. I can't find the same in Avast 5..

Also, I can't "Safely remove" my external HDD. Avast scan shows nothing. UNLOCKER cant detect any locking process either...  Is my HDD infected... If not how do I safely remove it???,,, without having to shut down my PC ofcourse!!!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: default option in boot-time scan
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:43:25 AM »
What happened to the automatic actions in the Boot-time scan?
http://blog.avast.com/2010/02/04/v5-bts-auto-actions/

Also, I can't "Safely remove" my external HDD. Avast scan shows nothing. UNLOCKER cant detect any locking process either...  Is my HDD infected... If not how do I safely remove it???,,, without having to shut down my PC ofcourse!!!
Do you have latest version  5.1.889  ?

also check your computer for malware with this

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1 http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
always update the program so you have lates database before you scan
click the remove selected button to quarantine any infections found

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:21:10 AM by Pondus »

viper260886

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
thnx... that helped!!  :)

MyCsPiTTa

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 02:00:51 AM »
I read the article, but it's not the removal of auto actions which is the problem - it's that Avast expects you to perform an action real-time during scanning, rather than saving them all up for the end of the scan. So, I come in after leaving my scan running overnight (as most people would do) expecting it to be finished, waiting for me to decide what to do with all the suspects, but no - it's stopped at 18% waiting for my input.

It's just absolutely ridiculous. If you had many infections, you could spend days running the same scan, unless you are willing to commit to 8 hours staring at the screen.

The Windows environment scan lets you deal with the suspects at the end. Why not the boot time?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:17 AM »
i guess you also did see this at the end of the article

boot time scan is not meant to be used as a regular scanner
The boot-time scanner is an expert feature, and was designed to be used when there’s something bad going on on the system. And in these cases, I’d say that having to actually select the actions manually is a small price to pay

It's just absolutely ridiculous. If you had many infections, you could spend days running the same scan, unless you are willing to commit to 8 hours staring at the screen.
i guess the safest is to use the removal experts we have here in the forum and let them deal with it
and it is also free

guide here.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
when logs are attached they will help you

MyCsPiTTa

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:31:54 AM »
Again, as I said, it's not the need for manual actions I have a problem with per se. It is the fact that the scan pauses at each threat until you provide some input. Why can't it save up the results until the end of the scan, then let you go through them one by one? Like you do after a scan in Windows.

The reason I am using a boot scan is I ran a Windows scan and it found 1 virus (Java), which it moved to chest. Avast then recommended I do a boot scan. The boot scan found more Java virus (not in a chest folder). So I guess the boot scan is justified in this case, as the Windows scan did not deal with it completely.

But why not continue the scan and let me make the decisions at the end?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
I haven't used a boot-time scan in a very long time so I'm unsure if the settings have changed. But when it stops on the first detection, isn't there a multi-action decision (see old screen pic of options) that can be selected to apply to any further decisions ?

If so you can use that, but you really have to take care on what choice to take (first do no harm). Obviously you would have to wait for this first detection.

That said, this really shouldn't be a frequent requirement (once initially cleared) or you would really have to review your browsing activity if you are getting constant infections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security