Author Topic: Getting message: "An unauthorized change was made to Windows"  (Read 17593 times)

Carolrj

After installing Avast Internet Security into my laptop I started getting this message: "An unauthorized change was made to Windows. This will result in limited functionality".

I am running Windows Vista. Has anyone else had this issue after installing Avast antivirus? If so, any suggestions on how to fix this issue. If I do a system restore before I installed Avast or if I uninstall the program will that affect me being able to reinstall the software. Did I waste my money on the upgraded version? I ran the free version for years with no ill affects to my computer.

Thanks
Carol

swarnava

Re: Getting message: "An unauthorized change was made to Windows"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »
Which version of avast are you using? And which os are you using?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
@Swarnava/Heaven GOD
Do you read the post before you answer  ???  all the info you ask about is given above

Did I waste my money on the upgraded version? I ran the free version for years with no ill affects to my computer.

After installing Avast Internet Security into my laptop

I am running Windows Vista.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 05:01:39 PM »
The start of the problem may be coincidental to the Avast install.

Read this thread.  http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/96eaeeaf-beef-4dea-92bb-56f0225f2e1a/
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

swarnava

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
@Swarnava/Heaven GOD
Do you read the post before you answer  ???  all the info you ask about is given above

Did I waste my money on the upgraded version? I ran the free version for years with no ill affects to my computer.

After installing Avast Internet Security into my laptop

I am running Windows Vista.

asking about exact version.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »

Please don't ask anything, as you can't give pertinent advice anyway. :(
Thanks..!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

MAG

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 08:40:47 PM »

Please don't ask anything, as you can't give pertinent advice anyway. :(
Thanks..!!
asyn

Not often you see a mere mortal reprimanding a God. Watch out for Thunderbolts!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »
Not often you see a mere mortal reprimanding a God. Watch out for Thunderbolts!
;D ;D ;D

Cindalyn90

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »
I am also having issues on my laptop with the same error message, I also run windows vista & have the Avast Free.  >:(

It just keeps saying (at log in) that an unauthorized change was made to windows & to either "close," the box or "click to learn more online." And it never takes me to my desktop, the screen after I try logging on just proceeds onto saying "logging off" then I have to try to log on again & it repeats the process.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 04:34:26 PM »
I am also having issues on my laptop with the same error message, I also run windows vista & have the Avast Free.  >:(

It just keeps saying (at log in) that an unauthorized change was made to windows & to either "close," the box or "click to learn more online." And it never takes me to my desktop, the screen after I try logging on just proceeds onto saying "logging off" then I have to try to log on again & it repeats the process.

Please open a new topic.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

cadremis

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »
I just want to say that I saw this msge 3 times this week after installing Avast Free edition in 3 different computers with Windows Vista, but I never though it was Avast... The way I remember this msges stopped was shuting down the computer by force pressing the on/off button.

After that, I never saw that msge. again, the msge. says somethin about the Activation of Windows and to learn more on line, if you re-start the computer propperly you never get into your windows settings again.

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »
I don't mean to continue this old topic. I am posting actually so to stop it (and any new post like "I have the same problem" should be avoided and a new topic should be started).

For anyone reading this topic, and JFYI (and not so you can keep posting), such messages can show up when:

A_ making hardware changes (not Avast related).

B_ the validation / registration of Windows has been "compromised". This can also happen when updating Windows (specially with SP updates). In this case, uninstall Avast, update Windows, reboot, update Windows, reboot... until no updates show up at all. Then re-validate Windows (by network revalidation or by phone with MS or OEM). Only *then* reinstall Avast.

C_ using Windows Starter Edition and trying to use "advanced" features. If AIS (for example) is installed, it would probably try to use such an advance feature "not allowed" under Windows Starter Edition. In addition, the restrictions are not exactly the same in each version and build of Windows, but in any case any *Starter* Edition of Windows is indeed limited, and not "all" features of other Windows Editions can be used. This is also not so related to Avast.

And of course, as usual, if you have (or HAD ) any other security tool (like the ones pre-installed in laptops / notebooks and alike) that is not compatible with Avast, please use the appropriate removal tool before installing Avast.

Thank you for NOT re-posting in this old topic.

revel

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 07:25:36 PM »
I started an account just to post here and also respond to ady4um.

I started running searches based on the direct issue I was having.  It turns out there is a massive array of questions leading to questions and solutions out there.

What piqued my interest when I got to this thread was that I too had just installed Avast Free on Windows Vista Ultimate!

But am I looking for a needle in a haystack? Well what helped convince me - or as I like to say "Sanity Check" my situation there was various posts saying "Me Too!!" along with details matching mine greatly.

Then we get down to ady4um's frustrating post about trying to stop the posting blah blah as if it has no merit, even though obviously it does because thanks to this forum thread - and mind you not the first one I looked at - I emmediatly logged into safe mode, uninstaleld Avast, rebooted, and now i'm back in business.

The funny thing is this thread is already full of trolling and shit talking! 

So what does my posts purpose serve?

1. I installed windows Vista Ultimate 64 and then Avast Free and got the "An unauthorized change was made to Windows"  message trying to log in.  So i'm another person out there helping convince somebody to just try safe mode (reboot, hit f8, safe mode with networking) and just go the the Programs area and uninstall Avast. 

2. ady4um, You may want to pay attention to how people work, not just how PC hardware/software works.  I get that its a complex situation - people should already get that from the insane ammount of forum and help posts in a single google search.  Getting people to stop concuring and detailing wouldn't have helped me and potentially many others get to the solution they actually need to realize is best for them.