Author Topic: Suspicious Files reported  (Read 2906 times)

Paolo_R

Suspicious Files reported
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:47:54 AM »
Using Avast Free, version 5.1.889, latest virus definitions.
Windows XP SP3

For about the last week, every time I boot up, I get a warning from Avast heuristics warning of suspicious files. The folders indicated are those for Microsoft Security Essentials Antimalware Definitions. I know some people would regard anything from Microsoft as suspicious  ;) but this seems a little strange. If I scan the said folders with the Avast scan engine no suspicious files are reported.

Is this a know problem?

TIA

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Suspicious Files reported
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 12:51:10 AM »
yes this is the result of having two AV programs installed, so you need to uninstall one...

Never install two antivirus (see reply from quietman7)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=7c8217673a726b92cfc91ecfd4294a29&showtopic=260844&view=findpost&p=1441638

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:52:48 AM by Pondus »

Paolo_R

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:02:16 AM »
Pondus: yes, I know I shouldn't have two AV programs installed.

I just wanted to confirm that the message was, in fact, a false positive. Irrespective of the apparent disadvantages of having 2 AVs, in practice I have had no problems and each one has spotted potential viruses that the other hasn't.

Thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »
.......and each one has spotted potential viruses that the other hasn't.
or it was false positive detections as a result of running two AVs ?

Paolo_R

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 01:22:24 AM »
Pondus: I'm thinking more of warnings about potentially harmful web sites, or possible fly-by attacks.

I hear what you say. I seem to have been pretty successful in keeping my PC clean. I also use Malwarebytes Antimalware, Super Anti-spyware and Trojan Remover - these last 3 are
run independently with manually activated scans.

I note you are a Man U fan. I'm originally from the Blue side of Manchester (and still support them) even though I now live in Melbourne, Australia.