Author Topic: _Yes__Another 5.1.889 Update problem...But rectified?! ... 'My Way!'  (Read 6052 times)

ConW

I am referring to two computers in this msg... mine and my wife's!  I have the update for Avast Free 5.1.889 (when it updated... I am not sure.  All went so smoothly!) on my computer and all seems to be going fine!  However, a couple days ago, my wife's computer was updated (to which version number I am not sure) and has been rebooting constantly when turned on.  It allowed me to go into SafeMode and then SafeMode Network to transfer a file to my computer so she could get it printed.
The reboot process is such that when I turn the computer on windows comes up... presents the choose user screen and waits for input, upon making the selection, it then displays the background screen then the icons (about 6 or so) on the first boot.  On the first reboot the process seems to repeat.  After that, the icons do not appear before the reboot (it appears the computer has slowed down... the hd light goes off for a period of time.

Any suggestions/help?... a google for this problem brings me back to 2008 and I don't wish to rely on that info.
Thank-you!

Edit:  Using Windows XP Pro 5.1 Build 2600 SP3 on my computer and Windows XP Home SP3 (same build) on my wife's!
       Just read another msg mentioning that thay can't get to the log-on screen of Windows because the choose Boot Device comes up... on occasion this happens too for me... just select the hd and it should reach the log-on screen... it does for me!  :o
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:28:38 PM by ConW »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Another 5.1.889 Update problem...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:43:35 AM »
Hello ConW: You could try a repair of Avast. Go to Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast then click Change/Remove. Scroll down the options to 'Repair' and choose. When finished reboot computer. See if that helps. :)

ConW

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:22:58 AM »
Followed your instructions... no luck!  That computer still reboots after log-on!   ???
There was one difference... no icons!  The TaskBar shows... then reboot!

I did the task from SafeMode.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 05:33:59 AM »
The Repair is done in Normal Mode, not Safe Mode.
In any case I suggest you do a Clean Uninstall and Reinstall of Avast.

If you have had v.4.8 installed or v.5.0 or 5.1(beta) and had issues with the functioning of the version or an install of a newer version over top did not work properly, there is a possibility of File corruption. I have found this process to be extremely effective in many situations. Consider executing a ‘Clean Install’ using this format.
 I recommend you follow these instruction in the order they are presented

Please download the latest official version of Avast (5.1.889) for the product you need and save it to your HDD:   

Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe       
        Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe       
        Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe

Then please download aswClear5.exe (Clean up Utility) http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.
1. IN NORMAL MODE, Please go to Start/Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast and click Change/Remove, and then Uninstall from the options listed. Once the uninstall process is completed, Reboot your computer
2. When up and running, Reboot again, this time into 'SAFE MODE' and find the (aswClear5.exe) download you saved to your hard drive and run the Clean up tool. Make sure you first choose the version from the list supplied in the tool that you want to cleanup and then run the tool by choosing Uninstall; your computer will automatically reboot.
3. Once up and running in Normal Mode, if you choose too, follow the NOTE BELOW, before finally installing the latest version of Avast you saved to your hard drive.
Remember, if you have had more then one version of Avast installed on your computer, you need to choose the version in the Clean up tool that you have had installed on your system one at a time. If you have had both v.4 and v.5.0 installed, then you need to follow the ‘safe mode’ process twice; once for each version separately.

NOTE: It has also been suggested to run CCLeaner after you Reboot and before the Clean install of Avast. CCleaner is a powerful maintenance and cleaning application for the computer. The tasks that it is capable of performing make the PC work faster and in a more effective way
CCLeaner is Free and a Safe System Optimizing, Privacy and Hard Drive Cleaner> The latest FREE version can be found at: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download. Choose either download links at the bottom of the box

If you have any problems please feel free to let us know. :)

ConW

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:49:56 AM »
????????  Do you have any instructions for people with this problem!?  There is no NormalMode!!  The computer will not bootup into Windows normal mode!  The best I can do is get into SafeMode, SafeMode with Network or CommandPrompt!  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:53:12 AM by ConW »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 06:18:22 AM »
Have you uninstalled Avast in Safe Mode? Does that change anything?
What other security software do you have installed?

ConW

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:29:08 AM »
The main reason I have not uninstalled Avast! on my wife's computer...
The 1st step in the instructions is to use Windows Add/Remove? in Normal mode [... there is no Normal mode!]

The only other security software installed is AD-Aware (on both computers!)  It appears to work in SafeMode with Networking as I recall seeing the icon indicating it is Active when I tried successfully to access the internet!  Oops... just read your reply... I am also using ZoneAlarm... on both compters!

I can't remember whether I installed 5.0 on top of 4.8 or 5.1 on top of 5.0, but I do know I had no problems with Avast! until this 5.1.889 Update!... and then on only one computer!  I do have a laptop and a notebook with Avast! but I will be trying to remember to turn them on while not connected to the internet!... That way I will be able to uninstall from Normal mode on those computers!  :o

I will be shutting down as it is 10pm here and I want to get some shuteye!  Thanks for the quick replies!  :o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:04:13 AM by ConW »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:39:48 AM »
I understand that. :)
I would suggest uninstalling Avast and see if you can then reboot into Normal Start Up.
I also asked about other securtiy software as often times there can be conflicts.
What about Firewall?

Edit: So can you access the Internet to download the Clean Up Utility I posted in my revious instructions?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:43:55 AM by schmidthouse »

ConW

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 07:01:27 AM »
Yes, I can access the internet from SafeMode with Networking but I have downloaded the necessary files onto MY computer and can transfer them via Network to her computer.

I replied with this msg because I had answered your other questions via Modify while you posted your reply!  ;)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 07:07:04 AM »
There have been known conflicts between ZA and Avast.
As soon as you can, follow the clean uninstall/Reinstall instructions
By the sounds of it there is a very good chance there are corrupted files.
Signing off for now. Good luck.  :)

ConW

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »
Well!  Success at last!  I have my wife's computer back in her control again... she is so happy!

What I did...
a. discover I now had no networking even though I was in SafeMode with Networking but I did have internet!

1st- downloaded the aswclear5.exe as provided by schmidthouse and the ccsetup3.03.1366.exe from cnet.com (the link provided was passing thru' a site that is blocked by me in my router
2nd- I ran the aswclear5.exe tool in SafeMode (with networking to be precise- that allowed me to download the necessary files)
3rd- reboot into NORMAL mode!!!
4th- {attempt to send a report of a problem between some software! and Windows} then ran ccsetup3.03.1366.exe and rebooted
5th- The {} in #4 might belong here and then Run Regedit and delete all findings of avast that were related to Antivirus (including Avast 4)
6th- Shutdown and wait at least 10 seconds
7th- Turn computer on and notice that there were now no notifications
8th- go thru' the network and bring over the anti-virus setup I had downloaded onto my computer!
9th- Installedl it and followed instructions [let it do as it wanted] (I decided not to go with Avast! since even the new full installs reported problems.) ...I googled best anti virus

I am sticking with Avast on my computer for now (waiting for a working v.6) since it (5.1.889) seems to be working fine on my computer!  :o
The DOS window work of Avast! is a feature that I love... and I doubt that I would find it elsewhere!  I also love the fact that the protection provided by Avast! is active and at least the most complete in the freeware market!

This is 'My Way!' of rectifying my (my wife's) problem!

Then there is another way... maybe (I say maybe because I have ZA and Avast on my computer which function together just fine! And they apparently? don't on my wife's computer.) http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=70296.0 [SOLVED] Avast Free 5,1,889 + XP SP3 Problem.  Opens a new window!  :o
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:37:42 AM by ConW »

Rick F

Re: _Yes__Another 5.1.889 Update problem...But rectified!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 01:21:53 AM »
"Waiting for a working ver 6."

Yep, that's what I'm doing.  Sticking with 5.0.677 until then.  Just too many problems with 889 version.  ::)

Silk0

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 01:31:52 AM »
"Waiting for a working ver 6."

Yep, that's what I'm doing.  Sticking with 5.0.677 until then.  Just too many problems with 889 version.  ::)

Can you specify some?
Already with version 5.1.889 since the day of the release and 0 problems or issues.

g0dsends

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 02:13:20 AM »
ive had webshield is turned off issue even through it isnt this only happens some times on start up

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 03:37:45 AM »
Glad to see you got things working. :)