Author Topic: RPC Error  (Read 11693 times)

Crazyfroggy

RPC Error
« on: September 01, 2004, 08:57:00 PM »
Hi,

I've just reinstalled my laptop (IBM T23) with Win XP Pro SP1a then SP2 (from the admin version, the Big One).
When the system boots, the resident agent doesn't start and says "AAVM has encountered an RPC error".  :-\When I start Avast! manually, everything goes fine. ???

Can you help me ?

Cheers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:RPC Error
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 09:44:04 PM »
Generally, RPC errors are corrected by Control Panel > Add/Remove applications > avast > repair function.
If this does not work, try uninstall/boot/install/boot  ;)
The best things in life are free.

BlitzenZeus

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 12:14:35 AM »
I also had this happen, it was due to a windows service not being loaded on startup, but the fact that it effected Avast is really bad as it could be used to prevent avast from being effective on the machine.

I borrowed a firends connection to get a big download, and when I booted up to the desktop I had this error in avast, along with no connectivity.  Well I had disabled the dhcp service as I never use it normally, and when I enabled it everything was fine.  However due to Avast's dependency on rpc, AVAST FAILED due to rpc not being able to contact the dhcp service.

The fact that Avast depends on RPC is a very possible local security exploit.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 12:17:41 AM by BlitzenZeus »

inthewildteam

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 12:58:29 AM »
Hi,

I've just reinstalled my laptop (IBM T23) with Win XP Pro SP1a then SP2 (from the admin version, the Big One).
When the system boots, the resident agent doesn't start and says "AAVM has encountered an RPC error".  :-\When I start Avast! manually, everything goes fine. ???

Can you help me ?

Cheers

Just a thought, did you use a stand alone version of XP for the re-install or IBM's disc?

IBM are not alone in making some modifications to firmware inside their machines that can cause problems if their own restore/system discs aren't used.

This link also reports that IBM are advising not to install SP2 until it has produced a customised version.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3557952.stm

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 04:05:07 AM »

What do you mean?
Can you rephrase, please?  ::)

Crazyfroggy

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 09:25:03 AM »
Thank you all,

Technical - I've tried repair Avast!->reboot : doesn't really work. I'll do a clean install tonight.

Bitzenzeus, I think you may have it right, I will reenable my DHCP services shall the clean install failed.

Inthewildteam, I did a clean install of WinXP (not from the IBM CDS or recovery partition) then reinstalled all IBM utilities at the top of it. Everything works fine but I'll document myself a bit more on the IBM/SP2 issues. Thanks for the info.

I just wanted to THANK YOU very much indeed for your help. I will keep the forum posted tonight.

Cheers

BlitzenZeus

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 01:00:04 PM »

What do you mean?
Can you rephrase, please?  ::)
Don't roll your eyes at me 8)

I've already brought up this issue in a previous thread, as described in my message, if you can cause rpc hang, even by preventing the automatic loading of a service needed that is called apon by rpc, avast doesn't work correctly, and this dependency on rpc could be a local security issue.

To be effective in the security field you have to see both sides of the issue

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 02:40:14 PM »
This is ridiculous. The whole thing is caused by the absolutely unsuitable error message "encountered an RPC error". In fact, in 99.999% cases, this is not related to RPC. It's simply caused by the fact that the avast service is not running (or working). Again, not the RPC service, the "avast! antivirus" service.

avast per se does not use any "RPC" (remote-procedure) functionality...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 02:56:04 PM »
This is ridiculous. The whole thing is caused by the absolutely unsuitable error message "encountered an RPC error". In fact, in 99.999% cases, this is not related to RPC. It's simply caused by the fact that the avast service is not running (or working). Again, not the RPC service, the "avast! antivirus" service.

Vlk

Thanks for posting Vlk... I felt not able to understand all technical concepts here.

BlitzenZeus

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 02:27:26 AM »

However I can reproduce this error when I want to just by preventing the dhcp service from loading automatically with a cat5 cable plugged into my network card, but otherwise Avast works fine.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 02:38:14 AM by BlitzenZeus »

Crazyfroggy

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 09:38:30 AM »
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your help, just did a clean install and Avast is now running like a charm. ;D

I've read some comments regarding RPC. FYI, on my machine, RPC is completely disabled and I never reenabled it. In my case, it's not the cause of the error msg.

Thanks again

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 10:52:09 AM »

Crazyfroggy - glad you got it fixed and Welcome to the forums!    :)  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 02:51:00 PM »
On my machine, RPC is completely disabled and I never reenabled it.

We must be talking about different things.
Without RPC you won't have even Windows starting or working. RPC is a vital service, if you shut it down, your computer will shut down  ;)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 03:23:22 PM »
Technical
It's disabled on my computer to and this baby is humming! :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 03:42:22 PM »
Again, RPC Locator is not the same as RPC.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator manages the RPC name service database and is different from Remote Procedure Call (RPC), which provides the endpoint mapper and other miscellaneous RPC services.

Without RPC you do not have Windows. Just try to stop it...  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 03:43:11 PM by Technical »