Author Topic: Can I keep using Avast 4.8?  (Read 6966 times)

topstuff

Re: Can I keep using Avast 4.8?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »
Yes I know there were low level drivers running even when the services weren't. I could live with that and those drivers didn't take anywhere a big hit as the services did.

Silk0

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
In my opinion, avast! improved a lot from the version 4.8 to version 5.0  and now from version 5.0 to version 5.1.
Some of you think that avast! 5.0 and avast! 5.1 it's the same thing but no.. the main change it's on the engine.
About avast! running on my PC.. does not affect in any negative way and the scan only takes 15% ~ 20% of my CPU.
Now.. the only question mark here is: and what about avast! 6.0? Well.. just a question of waiting, huh? :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:29:26 PM by Silk0 »

pog_ROM

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
But Avast 5.1 doesnt work properly and many know it but for some bizarre reason Avast tech seems to keep sweeping this under the carpet and completely blanking those who are having these issues.

1. Put PC into sleep mode. Reawaken. Avast 5 as good as locks the entire PC. Cursor spins, but nothing happens, then its freezes. Only way out, reboot.

2. Manually turn off Avast 5's shields for a short time then turn them back on. Cursor spins, but nothing happens, then its freezes. Again, Avast 5 as good as locks the entire PC until you reboot.

This never happened with v4 ever. It also never happened with 5.0 but as soon as I put 5.1 on this intolerable situation arises. Many of us have tried all and sundry to remedy this but the solutions offered are poor.

Somewhere along the line Avast dropped the ball. And from reading many of the problem threads on these boards they  dont give a fig about their customers issues esp. when it involves criticism of product.

Its a real shame as Id been a user of Avast for over 5 yrs. I really liked earlier Avast versions but this v5 problem is starting to drive me nuts. Dont want give up Avast but what choice do I have? I need an AV that works properly all the time. At the moment Avast 5 isnt it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »
Its a real shame as Id been a user of Avast for over 5 yrs. I really liked earlier Avast versions but this v5 problem is starting to drive me nuts. Dont want give up Avast but what choice do I have? I need an AV that works properly all the time. At the moment Avast 5 isnt it.
The only way will be helping troubleshooting.
Other security program interfering? Old avast installation? Other antivirus in the past? ThreatFire? Firewall?
The best things in life are free.

pog_ROM

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
Well it seems Ive fixed my Avast 5 problems. Thank god for that!

Waking PC from sleep mode no longer freezes up machine.

Turning off shields then switching them back on no longer freezes up machine.

Oh and Ive also reupdated back to 5.1 and its still all good.

Fix :

Added all the Malwarebytes AM locations to Avast 5s exclusions. (found elsewhere on here)
Turned off Avast Self Defense Module (not recommended but it works for me)

Im glad Ive not got to hunt for another AV. Avast is good at catching virus problems, always has been.