Author Topic: About Update (Connections)  (Read 3465 times)

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
About Update (Connections)
« on: September 02, 2004, 03:30:55 AM »
Hi,

I installed the avast! Home Edition to a friend but I have a doubt in the Update (Connections).

The doubt is: My friend have a notebook and he connects more to the internet by LAN in University, but sometimes in home he connects by dial-up modem, so what settings should I put in this section to have process of automatic updates more reliable?

Regards
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:About Update (Connections)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 03:44:08 AM »
Hi,

I installed the avast! Home Edition to a friend but I have a doubt in the Update (Connections).

The doubt is: My friend have a notebook and he connects more to the internet by LAN in University, but sometimes in home he connects by dial-up modem, so what settings should I put in this section to have process of automatic updates more reliable?

Regards

I'll suggest: Automatic update with the value SuppressUpdateErrorInfo=0 into AAVM section of avast4.ini file.
Or, dial-up mode and a link to ashUpd.exe using NetRun (http://www.home.earthlink.net/~czarsoft/NetRunDownload.html) to control the state of connection, if on-line, it will run the update, if not, won't run  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 10:17:10 AM »
VaMPiRiC_CRoW, you can leave both the boxes unchecked. Everything should work OK, as far as his LAN router doesn't drop ping requests (i.e. as far as stuff like

ping www.avast.com

works).

Cheers,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 01:20:08 PM »
OK, thanks for you suggestions  ;)
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

cooldiode

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 03:38:27 PM »
Hello Vlk,

Maybe you read the two threads I initiated, and my discussion with Eddy on that topic (last is at bottom of page 3 now).

Now I can confirm that most of software proxies used in perso LANs actually drop the pings, and this causes Avast! to be unable to detect an active connection from a station,

Then if the "permanently connected" option is checked, it actually connects on boot then every 4 hours (it just did now). This is because the proxy software does dial-on-EVERY-demand from any station.

And so this actually yields to choose between updating any station manually, or accepting up to spend a standard 50h/month subscription only for that.

I'm still computing to find an alternative way to detect an active connection on the LAN without forcing it...

Thank you for any suggestion.

PS: Avast! is really good !

Greetings,
CD