Author Topic: Avast 5.1.889 causes Blue Screen crash in Windows 7 full screen video.  (Read 3172 times)

wgenglan

I responded to the update pop-up on a laptop with Windows 7 on it, and the update went fine,
except that when I try to play a game, or any application which tries to go to full-screen, even a
screensaver, I get a blue-screen crash with memory dump. 

This is to inform that the problem occurs because it is an older laptop with a Windows Vista video driver, as
the video adapter manufacturer hasn't and will not be making a video driver for that model since it is no
longer in production, and more than 5 years old.  What bothers me is that the previous version of Avast worked
just great, with no problems. 

It really is a problem with the 5.1.889  version, but since there probably aren't many people with the
same system setup, and using older/outdated hardware, it isn't getting a lot of attention right now.

I believe that eventually someone will figure out what is really wrong and fix the problem with a new
version (maybe 5.1.890 or 5.2.1?)  Till then I'm either staying with 5.0.677 or changing AV.

Offline RZPogi

Re: Avast 5.1.889 causes Blue Screen crash in Windows 7 full screen video.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:17:52 AM »
try using the drivers cd included with video card.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 5.1.889 causes Blue Screen crash in Windows 7 full screen video.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
Try uninstalling the behaviour shield though add remove program's, click avast then click change and untick behaviour shield and reboot.