Author Topic: why I must do?  (Read 4284 times)

melih

why I must do?
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:53:59 PM »
Dear Sirs,
I've been using your antivirus for a long time, but now in fifth version there is an
interesting thing has occur.
There are 3 options in the updating page, and when I choose "Ask me if there are
new uploads" option, your software said, "Attention, your system is not protecting enough.
Why?
Why I must choose to open only automatic updates?
If your software working only when automatic updates open, why do you add other options on
updating page?
I have not a good processor and ram, and when I do someting like downloading something,
your automatic updates make my system slow.
So, I don't want to use automatic updates, and wish to downloads new updates when my
system not busy.
Please change this in your next program updating.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: why I must do?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
That is just informative - if you are unable to use automatic updates then select manual.  But, the update downloads are in the order of kilobytes so they are not that large

melih

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:21:21 AM »
I know that's informative, but in fact, it's not good announcement for forcing users to automatic updates. Better let users choose which update position they like without any doubt.
When I see that lines, I ask myself if there is any problem with Avast.
Not good.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:10:06 AM »
I'm not on a system with Avast right now, but I think you can turn off that alert in Settings > Notifications (don't checkmark Updating).

Silk0

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:27:06 AM »
Updates are essentials to keep your avast! updated and on the day against new threats and malware so I support the idea of automatic updates.
It also gives you 0 job to update the database and it's a peace of mind for you and your computer.
And like essexboy posted: the updates are only in order of kilobytes so you don't have to worry. ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:29:09 AM by Silk0 »

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:04:14 AM »
Updates are essentials to keep your avast! updated and on the day against new threats and malware so I support the idea of automatic updates.
It also gives you 0 job to update the database and it's a peace of mind for you and your computer.
And like essexboy posted: the updates are only in order of kilobytes so you don't have to worry. ;)

You are not understanding the OP's query. He has no objection to performing updates, but chooses to do them at his will. When he turns off automatic updates in Avast's interface he is presented with a "system not secured" prompt from Avast. This notice can be turned off as I stated above.

melih

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »
Dear Simion,
You understand the problem clearly and gave me the salutiıon, but in fact, the notification message not to be seen.
I mean, what happens if a real error occures.
Let's say, something happen and one of Avast performance turn off. The AV software must notify it's user that there is a problem.
When the user has a notification like mine, can't able to understand the real warning alert this fact, and using the AV with it's error.
No need an exclamation mark on the software's icon on the system tray, and also no need any negative alerts which there aren't any on fourth version.
This is the true way, for me.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 02:42:57 AM »
Go to the Avast GUI and then settings. Select status bar then untick the notifications that you do not want to see.
See attachment.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 03:20:50 AM »
Hello, melih.

You can safely turn off the Updates notification as I said above. If any Avast providers shuts down you will still be notified via the Avast icon. Test it yourself by disabling Avast shields through the system tray icon. Are you not warned?

Also, if you don't manually update Avast signatures for some time, Windows will notify you of an outdated antivirus.

I expect that English is not your native language, and you are doing fine at expressing yourself. Do you know Avast has an International Board?

melih

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55:58 PM »
Yes, I am a Turkish guy at 55 and I have no chance to talk and write English so often.
And yes I saw the International Board on the forum but unfortunately there no Turkish pages.
For my problem, yes I solve it with your guide.
Thank you.
But as we saw on Avast fourth edition, this kind of warning notifications are unneeded.
So must be remove for the future updates or versions.
Sincerely,