Author Topic: Question on the Avast Pro version  (Read 8727 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Question on the Avast Pro version
« on: September 02, 2004, 05:13:24 AM »
A friend of mind have download the Avast Pro version for a trial on XP Pro with SP2, I told him to join the avast forum if he has any problems cause he is too shy to come and join the club.

He has ask me a lot question about the Avast Pro version that comes with script blocking, and I explained it to him and how it works.

Question is. Why doesn't script blocking work on Opera v7.54 web browser, the Avast Pro version only support (Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator and Mozilla).

Finally if he is very happy with the Pro version and he wanted to buy the software, can it be done by paying International Check from Australia and posted to Alwil head office. (Need information)

I also told him about the free version I am using, he prefer the Pro cause he feels safer than the Home version.

Please advise. (thanks)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Question on the Avast Pro version
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 12:00:20 PM »
Hello buddy,

regarding Opera, you can find some more info in here. Read Vlk's reply:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=4062;start=msg29170#msg29170

As far as type of paying for Pro version goes, you have to wait little bit more to hear from someone from Alwil team. I'm sure they will give you (your friend) some good advice on how to purchase...

Best Regards !
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 12:00:47 PM by Craftec »

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 12:24:23 PM »
Hey SpeedyPC,
It's radicalb21. I would suggest having your friend contact Biz-aid Pty Ltd in Australia. There phone number is (+613) 9526 6977. They are located in St. Kilda in Victoria. Here is the URL:

http://www.avast.com.au/

I hope this helps your friend. As Craftec said he should join the forum also. If you have questions you can contact me through my profile or through my website.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 12:48:35 PM »
Hey SpeedyPC,
It's radicalb21. I would suggest having your friend contact Biz-aid Pty Ltd in Australia. There phone number is (+613) 9526 6977. They are located in St. Kilda in Victoria. Here is the URL:

http://www.avast.com.au/

I hope this helps your friend. As Craftec said he should join the forum also. If you have questions you can contact me through my profile or through my website.

radicalb21 I am gunna KISS YOU. Why didn't Alwil tell me their was an Avast website setup in Australia, well guess what Alwil I'm going to BUY the PRO version ASAP.

I have already pass this information to my friend so he can get the Pro version
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 12:59:21 PM »
I think our online shop also accepts checks.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 01:14:00 PM »
I think our online shop also accepts checks.

Vlk,

Why can't you support Avast Pro Script Blocking into Opera plug-in, how come it to hard? The only thing I can see in the Opera settings on my friend computer is to disable Java and Java Script, does thing mean Opera will protect him when using the Opera browers from virus without Script Blocking support.

I don't full understand about Opera Web Browers cause I am still using IE6.

Can you explain a bit information so I can try and to explained to my friend cause he is driving me nuts, why? he still very worry about virus jumping onto his HD from the web browers.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 02:18:30 PM by SpeedyPC »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 11:45:02 AM »
The Script Blocker module has to "sit somewhere". It must be connected to the browser such that it intercepts the scripts loaded by the browser, check them and if they are OK, pass them on for execution (if they are infected, block them somehow).
In the browsers supported so far, it's possible to do somehow (i.e. "hook" the scripting engine of the browser and stick avast! engine in between) - even though it's quite a big hack anyway. In Opera, however, it's simply not possible - the browser is build as one piece, without any interface that would allow such hooking. Don't know how to explain it better...

Anyway, I don't think your friend has to be worried much. The most common target of exploits is certainly IE; I'd feel quite safe with Opera.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 11:50:51 AM »
Using Opera and Avast for years and never had a problem with a bad script. I would say not to worry about Avast not being able to use script blocking with Opera :D

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 12:19:40 PM »
The Script Blocker module has to "sit somewhere". It must be connected to the browser such that it intercepts the scripts loaded by the browser, check them and if they are OK, pass them on for execution (if they are infected, block them somehow).
In the browsers supported so far, it's possible to do somehow (i.e. "hook" the scripting engine of the browser and stick avast! engine in between) - even though it's quite a big hack anyway. In Opera, however, it's simply not possible - the browser is build as one piece, without any interface that would allow such hooking. Don't know how to explain it better...

Anyway, I don't think your friend has to be worried much. The most common target of exploits is certainly IE; I'd feel quite safe with Opera.

Igor,

Thankyou for your feedback refering to my question and thank you Eddy, I have been a bit worry about Opera.

My major problem with my friend Michael and he get worry about using the internet with Opera, can a virus transfer from Opera internet online to the Documents and Settings directory where all the cookies files and Temporary Internet files are located.

How can Avast Pro support this problem where the virus is located on the HD when using the internet online with Opera, I know Avast Pro support the Script blocking with IE6 platform and it monitor the virus before it stay on the HD Documents and Settings directory where all the cookies files and Temporary Internet files are located.

Do you understand what I am trying to explain. What Opera version platform should he be using without Java or with Java addon, because their are two different option to download that is what I don't full understand.

Igor I agree with you the most common target of exploits is certainly IE.

I am still scratching my head ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 12:24:44 PM »
I use Opera with Java. Since I am also webmaster for a cybercafe you can imagin that I receive a lot of infected mail and such. Sofar the Avast on-access scanner was able to catch all of them while using the Opera mail client.

Since files are transfered/stored on the hd, the on-access scanner should provide enough security when using Opera. A firewall is ofcourse also a good thing to have when properly configured.

Sofar no problem whatsover with the combination Opera/Avast here.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 01:30:52 PM »
Well, you can turn the Standard Shield sensitivity to High and the files written to the browser cache will be scanned.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 03:11:05 PM »
Well, you can turn the Standard Shield sensitivity to High and the files written to the browser cache will be scanned.

Igor, this way we are not 'scanning' twice?
Does this lower the system resources?
Is there any way to set 'each' part to do its own job without 'duplication'?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 03:13:11 PM »
A small part may be scanned twice (the Script Blocker doesn't scan the whole pages/files, just the extracted scripts) - but the amount of the duplication data will be very, very small.
I really don't see any way how to avoid it.