Author Topic: Wonder if OK to get Avast if still have Norton on "hold"???  (Read 3561 times)

laurawabbit

Wonder if OK to get Avast if still have Norton on "hold"???
« on: January 30, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
Hi...I'm Laura from Western Mass.  Hoping I can get some reassurance:  If we DO NOT totally uninstall Norton 360 4.0, and keep just in case Avast isn't wanted, or don't cut it, will having a bit of Norton (settings, etc.) on "hold" interfere with having (free) Avast downloaded and running for us??  We are currently UNPROTECTED, and waitng for assurance, then I will get Avast on ASAP!!!

THANKS,  Laura Frambach

Gargamel360

Re: Wonder if OK to get Avast if still have Norton on "hold"???
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »
Hello, Laura from Western Mass.

It is never recommended to run 2 AV's together, disabled or otherwise.  You are certainly free to try, but you would likely run into any number of hard to troubleshoot problems, worst scenario being something like a never ending re-boot loop.  You will likely want to choose one or the other.

sded

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
We regularly run into users who have not completely uninstalled their Norton product using the special uninstaller at the Norton site. They wonder why Avast! or some other security software doesn't work.  Much of the time simply using the regular Windows uninstall is inadequate and using the Norton uninstaller for their particular product clears up the issue completely.  Norton is not anxious for you to go elsewhere and stop paying them.  If you are not willing to uninstall Norton you are often wasting your time, no matter what other product you may want to install.  And lockups etc are not unknown.  Avast! free is free, of course.  But you might make an image with something like Macrium free before you do it in case you need to recover.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »
Hi Laura and welcome to the forum.  :)

Here is the Norton Uninstaller tool if you need it:

Download and run the Norton removal tool from here: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN, then reboot your machine.

FYI - in the future, I would not post where you live and last name for your own privacy on the forum since everything can be traced back to Google.  If you wish to edit your post, you can go back to your previous post, click on the "Modify" button and change what you posted.  ;)

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:18:42 AM »

SafeSurf is right. It is too easy for a full name to be found using Google.

Never post your full name on any publicly accessed forum.