Author Topic: Upgrade from Free to Pro: Is it worthwhile?  (Read 4482 times)

Offline apeka

Upgrade from Free to Pro: Is it worthwhile?
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
Hi,

I'm presently using avast! Free on three computers in my network and considering upgrading to the paid version...
Does that add better protection against possible threaths and is it worthwhile spending money on it?

Gargamel360

Re: Upgrade from Free to Pro: Is it worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »
Since you have 3 PC's, I would say upgrade to AIS (Avast! Internet Security) as it's standard deal is a 3-PC license for very little more than you would pay for a single-use Avast! Pro license.  Does it give better protection, sure.  I use AIS, but I have never figured out if it is worth the money since Avast! makes such a great free product to begin with.

Know you the comparison chart?>>http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart
Any question of specific features, feel free to ask.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:17:35 AM »
I agree that its worth the money, I don't know if this should be in another thread but on of the advantages is "Keeps your mailbox free from spam" is that possible with windows mail and mailwasher pro????

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:29:53 AM »
Me I prefer the pro-active approach of MailWasher Pro, which is operating outside/independent of your email client, so it doesn't really matter which one it is. You first check for email using MailWasher, it doesn't download the complete email to do its analysis, it only downloads the headers, a small part of the body, it doesn't download images or attachments and it views what is downloaded in text only.

What is considered spam is flagged either by the program or you, you then click Process email, etc. and it deletes the flagged spam from the email server and the calls your email client, where you then download the remaining clean/non-spam email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ronnycopeh

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »
thanks DavidR, that's the reason I have mailwasher pro.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:14:23 AM »
MW Pro, Yep been using it for almost 10 years. ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 01:52:48 AM »
Yes, I have been using it for many years and when I was on dial-up it was a real god send as I didn't have to download all my email for an anti-spam to then sort through it. When I came to downloading the remainder, it was only a few good emails, quick even on dial-up.

Now I'm on fast broadband old habits die hard ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline apeka

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
Thanks for all the response! Great!
So upgrading from Free to avast internet security might be a good option too...Indeed it's just a couple of Euro's more comparing to Pro..
One more question about that: I once used Norton Internet Security, but it was locking/freezing up my system all the time, because it would block en took every silly item "in hostage"..Hope AIS doesn't do that and eat up all the system resources?
I'm still impressed by all the great features avast Free offers..Wonder how they can make such a great product for free.. :)