Author Topic: Trojan..or not...can anybody help!? (please)  (Read 2883 times)

from_atlantis

Trojan..or not...can anybody help!? (please)
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
Hello there

I don't know if anyone can help me..I'm having a problem with my website. Avast identifies a virus on one of the pages:-

http://www.cat-rabbit.com/Gallery.html

It says there's a trojan in object file www.cat-rabbit.com/colors.css

I'm a bit confused though because i do not have a file called that on the system. I've checked with my webhost and they've verified this. So...how can i delete/replace an infected file if it doesn't exist?? Also, and even more puzzling..if i type in a fictional address@cat-rabbit.com...

e.g   www.cat-rabbit.com/12345.html

...avast identifies a trojan in the object file www.cat-rabbit.com/12345.html (which, again doesn't exist).

Virus Total scans the site as clean (as does google) so I thought it might be a false positive. I've emailed avast and they said the problem is in file www.cat-rabbit.com/colors.css (???)

I've tried re-loading the gallery page with a clean page but the avast warning remains.

If anyone an offer any advice I'd be very grateful...this is driving me potty! My site works to help raise money for the blind.

Many thanks

From_atlantis

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
Re: Trojan..or not...can anybody help!? (please)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
But google chrome can see the file 12345.html and tell me there is a link to waistor(dot)com which host the bad program.Maybe your website hacked.
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

from_atlantis

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »
Thanks.

I've had an email from Avast and they've advised me to check 404 - which may contain the problem. As I understand it this is the page which comes up if someone types in a page which doesn't exist @my domain.

Unfortunately i don't know how to do that...if you have any advice regarding this it would be appreciated.

Regards

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:58:04 PM »
Unfortunately i don't know how to do that...if you have any advice regarding this it would be appreciated.
Tips for Cleaning & Securing Your Website
http://stopbadware.org/home/security

from_atlantis

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »
thanks.

I've resolved it now with the help of a very helpful avast employee! malicious code had been inserted into my error documents. Gosh..it's a minefield out there! :o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »
Now you have to close the vulnerability that allowed the exploitation/hacking of your site or it could be back again.

So the link Pondus gave should help in that regard, you could also report this to your site Host provider and ask advice as this is frequently down to out of date content management software. Some of this software may be provided by the Host service, so worth a quick email/call to their support.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

from_atlantis

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
Thankyou, yes - that's good advice. I'm following the recommendations on the stop badware site and have been in touch with my host.

cheers :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 07:31:47 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security