Author Topic: How to import site blocking list  (Read 3421 times)

david0vich

How to import site blocking list
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »
How to import new sites to site blocking list?
Very simple  ;D ;D ;D
Just follow attached tutorial.
Its working on my Avast Internet Security 5.1.
For optimal protection I also recommend to use some secure DNS like Comodo or SecureDNS combined with Addblock plus in Firefox.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:43:28 PM by david0vich »

spg SCOTT

Re: How to import site blocking list
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
I don't think it was necessary for you to attach it ;) could have just posted it.

The location is different for vista onwards...also you will run into UAC troubles as well.

As to the instructions, most people will use Notepad, since that is what is installed on every system. And the replace instructions don't work for me...are they specific to your text editor?

Also, I think this is probably better suited to a hosts file system. AFAIK the list will be updated and there are programs that can update the hosts with certain lists...

david0vich

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
You can just disable UAC and for location of "WebShield.ini" use simple windows component called SEARCH.
For editing use MS word  :o :o :o he has the same option for replacement like ultra edit.

If

;D ;D ;D you can not manage with this Then
use attached WebShield.ini.txt

End if

Rename to "WebShield.ini"

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:34:28 PM »
You are missing the point a little

No need to disable UAC...just run notepad as admin
"Use search" - well, if you are writing a tutorial, you have to make it as simple as possible..."sorry I don't have win7 use search" doesn't really cut it for me...

MS Word - again not installed...therefore not an option - it has to be mainstream - especially for those that aren't as confident with computers.

Notepad is the best option since avast was built to use Notepad to edit ini files...

And downloading it, is an option but isn't the list continually updated? it will then quickly become out of date...I still think this kind of thing is better suited to hosts files...

On a side note, do I see Fortran? (IF -- THEN -- END IF)
Just started learning that in Uni :D

Scott

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »
Well I wouldn't use MS Word for editing a text/.ini file in case is inserts any special character/formatting/return character, etc. that might screw with the file. Best to use notepad, or any text editor with no formatting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

david0vich

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:28 PM »
Well I agree with both of you.This tutorial is only an idea how to add multiple entries in the site block list and it was not written for beginners.
I know that this list will be outdated very quickly but it is the basis for better protection.
Later in time user can add new entries.
Notepad?  :(:( I don't use the notepad for many years (poor options).
I think that these guys from the development may consider adding two buttons for import & export.

Scott,good luck with Fortran.  ;) ;)