Author Topic: Computer Still Freezes After Avast Free 5.1.889 Has Been Removed  (Read 2025 times)

sellerman124

Computer Still Freezes After Avast Free 5.1.889 Has Been Removed
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:00:40 AM »
Hello everyone I am running on Windows 7 x64 Professional. I have a rig with a ASUS M2N32 Sli-Deluxe Mobo, 2gb of RAM, a AMD Athlon x2 6000 processor, and a EVGA Nvidia Geforce 7800GT (not that any of that is relevant, just thought it may help). Also I am running Comodo Firewall x64 alongside Avast.

However since I have installed version 5.1.889 my pc will randomly freeze. I have not experienced any BSODs since I have upgraded to 5.1.889, prior to that I would get an occasional BSOD (not sure if it was due to Avast, or something else). These freezes are much different than when a program typically crashes, the only way to recover from the freeze is to force power off the computer

Yesterday afternoon the freezes were so frequent I decided heck with it, lets format the drive and reinstall Windows. So the day goes by, and I get everything up and running again, and about 10 minutes into a full system scan using Avast BAMMM my computer does the freeze up again.

So I jumped on the forums here and what do you know, a large amount of 5.1.889 users are having the same issue as myself. So I decide to uninstall avast.

What I did was run the uninstaller alongside Revo Uninstaller, and it removed most of the registry settings, I did a search on windows and removed remaining content in the "Program Data folder", as well as my "Roaming" folder. I did a final registry search and removed all remains of Avast, however one legacy key was found and I was unable to remove it. I know that this can be done simply, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I haven't ran the avast removal utility, because from what i heard it does not do too much, and a manual clean is more preferred.

What is strange is I am still experiencing the freezings. I don't know why this is? As far as I know all hardware is running smooth, I know I am free of all malicious code as I am on a fresh install of Windows. Are the freezing still due to the legacy registry? has anyone else who has removed Avast 5.1.889 experiencing anything similar? What would you recommend I do next?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I decided to give aswclear5.exe a try followed by a CCleaner scan and registry scan after reboot. aswclear5.exe did say it removed some extra files, registry, etc, so far I have not had any freezes, but I have only been up and running for about 15 mins now, will report back soon. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:15:31 AM by sellerman124 »

sellerman124

Re: Computer Still Freezes After Avast Free 5.1.889 Has Been Removed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »
I am still experiencing the freeze ups, windows is even freezing before it starts up at the windows boot logo screen. Should I format my hd and reinstall windows without avast ever being installed? I am almost starting to think this may not be avast related? Any thoughts?