Author Topic: Lookin' for some new software  (Read 10340 times)

Dch48

Re: Lookin' for some new software
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 12:49:08 PM »
I just now received an update to Ashampoo Burning Studio Advanced. It updated to version 9.25 after notifying me that the update was available when I opened the program. I don't know if there is a source for the new version other than updating from within the program.

Also, the application can not create a playable DVD from an AVI. What it can do is create either a VCD (Video CD) or SVCD (Super Video CD) that can only be played in DVD players that support those formats. The quality will not be close to actual DVD quality. It also only works with videos in the MPEG format, not with AVI files at all. If you want to convert an AVI (or any other video file), or a few at the same time, to an actual DVD with the DVD file structure and much better quality, I would use DVD Flick. It's also free and works very well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:40:32 PM by Dch48 »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »
Thank you both!

I will try the Sony Vegas but it's an expenssive program. How is the Movie Maker in Windows 7, any better than the one in Windows XP?

About the File Factroy (or the DVDFab Video Converter for that matter, but FF is free): An AVI file can not contain any malicious code (links that will connect you to malware site when the AVI is opened), but WMV files can contain such code. That's why I don't like WMV files. So, what I'm asking is - if I convert an WMV file to an AVI file the malicous code should get eliminated in the conversion (since AVI files can only contain video & audio and no links/code). Can anyone confirm this?
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Dch48

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 12:41:49 AM »
About the File Factroy (or the DVDFab Video Converter for that matter, but FF is free): An AVI file can not contain any malicious code (links that will connect you to malware site when the AVI is opened), but WMV files can contain such code. That's why I don't like WMV files. So, what I'm asking is - if I convert an WMV file to an AVI file the malicous code should get eliminated in the conversion (since AVI files can only contain video & audio and no links/code). Can anyone confirm this?
I don't about AVI's not being able to contain code. I have downloaded a couple through uTorrent where Avast! caught the wimad code in the first piece of the file. I told it to clean one of them and it did but then the resulting full file was unplayable. There are AVI's out there that require you to download a codec or even a player to be able to view them and sometimes they will give you nasty malware in the process. There is code in the file that tells you in your media player that you need to get something else to play the file.

I would think that converting a bad WMV to AVI would also result in an unplayable file but since I've never tried it, I don't know. I've never actually seen an infected WMV file.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 01:03:57 AM »
What about this one? :)

http://www.codecguide.com/video_conversion_pack.htm

This pack contains the following applications:

• Avidemux [version 2.5.4 (r6714)]
  • ImgBurn [version 2.5.2.0]
  • DVDStyler [version 1.8.1.0]

Avidemux is a very powerful tool for editing video files. It supports almost every type of video file as input. It can do lots of things: cut, remux, convert, etc. It contains its own decoders and encoders for all common audio and video formats, so it does not need any external codecs.

ImgBurn is a versatile tool for burning DVDs.

DVDStyler is a basic DVD authoring tool. With this you can create your own video DVD, complete with a custom menu.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
Thank you Omid, I already have all the apps that I need now. :)

I don't about AVI's not being able to contain code. I have downloaded a couple through uTorrent where Avast! caught the wimad code in the first piece of the file. I told it to clean one of them and it did but then the resulting full file was unplayable. There are AVI's out there that require you to download a codec or even a player to be able to view them and sometimes they will give you nasty malware in the process. There is code in the file that tells you in your media player that you need to get something else to play the file.

I would think that converting a bad WMV to AVI would also result in an unplayable file but since I've never tried it, I don't know. I've never actually seen an infected WMV file.

As far as I know an AVI file cannot contain malicious code. You probably downloaded an AVI file which was WMV or ASF or something else but had it's extension renamed (WMV -> AVI). I use a free program called MediaInfo to inspect downloaded AVIs if they are really AVIs or renamed/masked files. About converting a bad WMV to AVI you are probably right, it probably wouldn't work then... I'll have to try it. Thank you for help! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).