Author Topic: Prevent avast from scanning files when folder is opened  (Read 3313 times)

aravindmoh

Prevent avast from scanning files when folder is opened
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:56:01 AM »
Is it possible to prevent avast from scanning all the files in a folder when it's opened?

I can understand scanning a file during the scans, but opening a folder should surely not be cause for worry even if there is an infected file in there. If there is some virus/malware that is executed when the folder is opened, again, it's ok to scan the process and maybe the file associated with it, but if it's not going to execute at all, I don't see why it should be scanned.

It tends to get very annoying when I open a folder with lots of files and the explorer hangs for up to a minute because of the process AvastSvc.exe.

And for anyone who wants to suggest it, I most certainly don't want to add it to the 'white list'.

So, I was wondering if there is some setting that controls this behaviour. I don't want to reduce the overall sensitivity or whatever it's called...I just want to disable this.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Prevent avast from scanning files when folder is opened
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »
Do you have an old computer, slow cpu, low on ram ?

It is not a problem on my Lenovo netbook, see spec belowe...

Tyreman

Re: Prevent avast from scanning files when folder is opened
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:35:56 AM »
Look in file system shield: hit the expert setting radio button, check settings under: scan when opening and scan when writing, see if scan all files is ticked for each (last box on bottom)
if it is untick and have
scan when opening>scan when opening only ticked and scan when writing >scan with default extensions