Author Topic: More Windows not genuine after boot scan  (Read 2598 times)

dbrusco

More Windows not genuine after boot scan
« on: January 19, 2013, 02:37:41 AM »
Windows 7 Pro, Avast 7.0.1474

I am careful with what emails I open and what I download, etc. etc.
I was looking at a pdf from a scientific organization (calacademy.org, to be exact, this one unless they've changed it since last night: http://research.calacademy.org > SSI >, the Advisers & Projects pdf, in Firefox, and in the middle of it, Avast gave an alert, something about malware. I had a bunch of other tabs open, the same ones I've had open. Avast suggested running a boot scan.

During the overnight boot scan, it found 7 suspect files, which I put into the chest (however, there are 8 dated from last night). I've attached a screen shot of the chest; the last 8 are the files in question. Four days ago, I disabled Java and updated it to the most current version; I also did Adobe), and six days ago I updated Windows.

When the boot scan was finished and after I logged into Windows, I got the same message in the lower right that many others have gotten, that my copy of Windows is not genuine. I purchased this laptop from Dell and have never had an issue with that. I ran the Microsoft Windows validation online, and it says that it is genuine.

I have not rebooted or done anything else in the way of installations/removals except to install the control in IE to run the validation.

I'd appreciate some help with this--I don't want to unnecessarily mess things up (or pay $69 for someone else to mess it up). None of these eight files were in places that I'd expect to cause an issue like this (but I'm obviously not a virus/malware expert). Do any of these look like false positives? And is there anything else to do about the Windows not genuine message?

Thanks.

iroc9555

Re: More Windows not genuine after boot scan
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 03:18:12 AM »
Radarrab welcome to Avast! Forums.

Follow this guide: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

and attach logs for AdwCleaner, malwarebytes', OTL, and aswMBR.exe. Do not copy/paste. See "Attacments and other options" below the box when writing your reply.

An expert will review the logs. Help may take time to come due to time zone differences.