Author Topic: (RESOLVED) HTTPS only allowed  (Read 13791 times)

tiro12

(RESOLVED) HTTPS only allowed
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:35 PM »
I've been having problems with my internet connection and I believe it is narrowed down to Avast, but I dont know how.  I am using the Avast free edition, and Win 7 home w/ windows firewall turned on.  My router was just replaced by verizon just in case and I have turned off the win firewall with no luck.

The weird thing is, I can get on to HTTPS web addresses just fine (banks, gmail, etc) and diagnostics show no issues with my internet connection.  I can even play games that connect online.  Somehow whatever port that is needed for http access is being blocked.  I just disabled all the shields on avast (mail web p2p etc) and the issue resolved immediately.  Until then I had to either wait approximately 5 - 10 minutes or restart my pc.  

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

* Edit:  I just read an article that stated Avast might encounter issues with Java.  Is that still the case?  My wife plays alot of facebook games...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:33:14 PM by tiro12 »

Gargamel360

Re: HTTPS only allowed
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
Pretty sure this is the Web Shield by how you describe it, so a far safer short term work-around would be to disable only the WebShield, not all of Avast.

This part leaves me with a question:
 Until then I had to either wait approximately 5 - 10 minutes or restart my pc.  
Is the problem intermittent (comes and goes), constant, only happens after startup and then goes away after a period of time?  A reboot temporarily clears the problem?

Either way, one thing to check is to see if all instances of Avast! are allowed in your firewall settings.  If it looks like nothing is being blocked, you could try deleting any Avast! related rules on your firewall, then let them be re-created.

As far as Java, I cant recall seeing any Java-related problems with Avast! posted here on the forums, could you provide a link to where you saw this if you have it available?

Whether or not any of that helps, post back and let us know if it did or did not work.

tiro12

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:10:36 AM »
Thanks for the tips, as far as Java issues, it is not on the forums just a search on line.  http://www.ehow.com/how_5992402_can-avast-allow-java-script_.html

The problem does not present itself until quite a bit later after boot and it is sporadic and intermittent.  I cannot recreate it at all.  The reboot only temporarily addresses the issue as it comes back eventually. 

I'm a total rookie when it comes to Win7 and firewalls in general but I will look to see if anything pops out at me.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:45:06 AM »
Ah, that speaks of Javascript, I thought you meant Java, they are different things entirely......but thats sort of irrelevant, as I was not aware of any javascript problems with Avast! either. 

Also, that link was posted way back in May, Avast! has had more than one program update since then.

What browser are you using, and did you try just the one, or are all web browsers affected?

tiro12

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:09:00 AM »
all browsers are affected (mozilla, chrome).

tiro12

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:15:53 PM »
It has been several hours now of web browsing without a single incident of denied web access.  So for some reason it seems the "web shield" was having issues.  Win7 firewall showed no rules or denied access in the logs for the avast program. 

The thing I am concerned with is if I have web shield off, am I vulnerable?  Even if win firewall is on?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »
With the web shield off you are completly vunerable, have you tried a repair of avast - programs and feature's double click avast then scroll down to repair and click again and reboot.
You dont have to add or delet anything for the window's firewall, i dont have avast in mine.
If your wife is playing the facebook game's tell her off  :) there supposed to be full of malware, better download malwarebytes and run a scan just to be safe http://www.malwarebytes.org/ install it then update it straight away and run a quick scan.

tiro12

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
I just tried the repair option and no dice.  I just tested web shield and about 25 minutes in, my web connection closed off on me.  Any other ideas folks?  

Looks like I'm going to have to pay for an AV program, but not avast, which is a shame seeing how well it is rated....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:57:27 PM by tiro12 »

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »
I have avast! on both of my systems without problems.

tiro12

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
That is so awesome!  Thanks for helping with my issue and letting me know your pc works just fine.  You are super!

Barring any silly comments, does anyone know if Windows Defender may conflict with avast?  Not sure why I need defender in addition to avast.

Also, another setting I noticed was the redirect settings, is that something that should be checked (ignore local communication)?  Not sure what it does but I see web ports are listed there.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:29:43 PM by tiro12 »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »
tiro12,

Have you ever had any third party firewall, or any security suite installed on this machine?  Something is blocking AvastSvc.exe access to the internet, and this is why HTTP sites cannot be accessed while HTTPS sites can.  Avast cannot scan HTTPS sites because they are encrypted, so it doesn't attempt to.  That is why you have no problems with those.

AvastSvc.exe, AvastUI.exe, and avast.setup must all be allowed access to the internet.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Not sure why I need defender in addition to avast.
Windows Defender does not conflict with avast!

Silk0

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
Not sure why I need defender in addition to avast.
Windows Defender does not conflict with avast!

You're right but there's no need to have Windows defender enabled since avast! already has Anti-Spyware protection in real time (at least is my personal opinion). ;)

tiro12

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
Gopher,
The only firewall I have is the win7 one.  Once I upgraded this pc to win7, I switched to Avast.  The only programs I use are CCleaner, IObit (advanced system care/360security/smart defrag) and malwarebytes.

tiro12

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 05:39:44 PM »
tiro12,

Have you ever had any third party firewall, or any security suite installed on this machine?  Something is blocking AvastSvc.exe access to the internet, and this is why HTTP sites cannot be accessed while HTTPS sites can.  Avast cannot scan HTTPS sites because they are encrypted, so it doesn't attempt to.  That is why you have no problems with those.

AvastSvc.exe, AvastUI.exe, and avast.setup must all be allowed access to the internet.

Gopher, do you think I should try adding rules to win firewall?  I deleted the rules as suggested previously but the firewall did not recreate any exceptions as far as I can tell.