Author Topic: AVAST WILL NOT AUTO START  (Read 17816 times)

milom

AVAST WILL NOT AUTO START
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »
My AVAST does not start up automatically at Start up; I checked my MSCONFIG and AVAST is not one of the programs in the STARTUP MENU.  All was working well until two days ago; now I have to manually start it up, but I'm afraid I'm not getting my rootkit scan at System Start Up????  Any Help...PLEASE :( :( :( :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: AVAST WILL NOT AUTO START
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
have you tried avast! repair?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

milom

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »
 ;) ;)PONDUS.....IT Worked !!!!
              THANK YOU Kind Sir !! :) :)

carpentergirl

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »
I just had the same issue - iYogi support could not even help me solve this problem, but you did!  I repaired as Pondus said to, and voila!  Protected! 

Thank you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »
Hi carpentergirl

The avast CEO steckler (at) avast (dot) com has requested info about iYogi, so if you have time to recount your experience.

Welcome to the forums
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tjrochester

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:44:31 AM »
I'm basically a novice, but I just built a new desktop and loaded Windows 7 and had nothing but troubles.  My main issue was crash after crash with lots and lots of the error message Explorer not respondsing. After a few rotten days of debug, and with the help of forums like this, I think I finally got the wrinkles out, with Avast being the main culprit.  First I had to turn off Windows Defender.  Then I had to turn off the auto updates for Avast.  Then I had to select "load avast services only after loading other system services" under settings/trouble shooting of the avast control panel.  Once I tried to uninstall Avast from Windows Control Panel and that gave me an error message.  Fortunately Avast provdes the aswclear5 program which will uninstall Avast.  I also had to make sure I deleted all the temp files on my computer. I never had this issue when I ran Windows XP.  It's support forums like this and others that supplied me the answers.  So I hope this post helps others who run into the same issues.

Gammerz

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »
For some reason my Windows XP home system decided it needed to perform a chkdsk on reboot. I was running Avast and an old version of ZoneAlarm together ok, but now they won't autoboot, so I have to start them manually (which works ok). Was working fine before the chkdsk.

Have tried reinstalling both and it seems that ZoneAlarm will autoboot ok if Avast isn't installed, but Avast won't autoboot on it's own and prevents ZoneAlarm (and other utils) from autobooting.

Repairing Avast reports success but has no effect.

In msconfig, I can see an entry for AvastUI.exe/nogui, presumably the nogui option is so to make it sit in the system tray instead (which isn't working).

Cannot see an entry for ZoneAlarm.

Please help.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
@ Gammerz,

It would have been best if you opened up a new thread of your own instead of posting in an thread over a year old.  But we will help you with your problem.  First we need more information from you:

1.   What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?
2.   What version of Avast did you install?   
3.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
4.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW) - now you use ZA, but in the past?
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

There have been problems in the past with ZA and Avast.  When you "reinstalled" both ZA and Avast, did you use the vendor's uninstaller's tool or some other way, and did you do them one at a time with a reboot in between?  Are you now using a current version of ZA or the same old one?

Gammerz

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »
1) OS is Windows XP Home SP2 (32 bit I believe)
2) My Avast version is 7.0.1456.
3) Installed Avast Free Antivirus.
4) Used to run AVG free antivirus  (a long time ago) and an old version of ZoneAlarm. Currently now running only Avast Free and up-to-date ZoneAlarm 10.2.064.000
5) All programs I've removed have been via the add/remove program options in the control panel (presumably this executes the vendor's uninstall tool - it did with Avast).

I've tried installing both Avast and ZoneAlarm individually (with the other program uninstalled via method (5) and rebooting after each install). Avast never autostarts, on its own or with ZoneAlarm installed. However, ZoneAlarm will only autostart if Avast is uninstalled. It appears that Avast is blocking all other programs from Autorunning (including Nokia phone util MS Active Sync).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:30:30 PM by Gammerz »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »
1) OS is Windows XP Home SP2 (32 bit I believe)

Before we continue here, please update your XP to SP3..!!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Gammerz

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »
Avast was working fine on XP SP2. I don't want to upgrade to SP3; I was looking for a more straightforward solution. The last thing I want is an O/S upgrade failure leaving my machine in a state. At the moment, it's stable. Manually starting the programs is a pain but I can get into the habit of doing this.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:02:49 PM »
Avast was working fine on XP SP2.

OK, but it can't really protect you, if the holes in your OS aren't closed. No AV can.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Gammerz

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:12 AM »
Avast was working fine on XP SP2.

OK, but it can't really protect you, if the holes in your OS aren't closed. No AV can.

I'm just trying to return my system to the state it was in before the problem arose. Holes in O/S 'n' all.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:24:23 AM by Gammerz »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 02:52:32 AM »
I'm just trying to return my system to the state it was in before the problem arose. Holes in O/S 'n' all.
Sometimes, using Windows System Restore messes all the avast! installation and then the computer state itself. Take care or make an installation from scratch.
The best things in life are free.

Gammerz

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 01:02:05 AM »
I managed to fix the problem: I uninstalled another program that was normally in the system tray (ms active sync), then reinstalled Avast.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:08:23 PM by Gammerz »