Author Topic: Sandbox use question  (Read 3923 times)

Iangho

Sandbox use question
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
If you install a programme within the sandbox does one have to re-install it if you remove Avast? I assume it will not work with Avast removed.

Gargamel360

Re: Sandbox use question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »
You do not "install" anything in Avast! sandbox.  Only "run" a copy of a program.

Iangho

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:50:43 PM »
You do not "install" anything in Avast! sandbox.  Only "run" a copy of a program.

Sorry. None the wiser. Is there a link that explains the use of the sandbox.

Also interested to know if Webrep flashes up a warning ala WOT if you click through to a Red site. That is, do I only get a warning about a bad-site from the icon in the address bar OR can I remove the icon because it will stop me visiting bad sites.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »
Sorry. None the wiser. Is there a link that explains the use of the sandbox.
Also interested to know if Webrep flashes up a warning ala WOT if you click through to a Red site. That is, do I only get a warning about a bad-site from the icon in the address bar OR can I remove the icon because it will stop me visiting bad sites.
Are you using the Beta?  There isn't alot written on the autosandbox yet, couldn't say much either as I'm not testing the Beta.  Avast!'s original on-demand sandbox works by creating a sandboxed copy of programs that are already installed on your PC.  It is made primarily for browsers, but you can try out other things if it suits you.  The best link I could give you for sandbox documentation would be to your own Avast! help file.

WebRep as of right now has no site blocking that I am aware of.  Since it is a built-in Avast! feature, it leaves that to the Network Shield.  So yes, hiding it will not result in any loss of protection.  If you look closely, WebRep never asks you how safe-or-unsafe a site is, only how much you like it and what kind of content it has.  

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:08:18 AM »
You can use the "site block" feature from the GUI to block certain sites from your browser.
See "additional protection".
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.