Author Topic: Microsoft update prevented from starting  (Read 2860 times)

dbkarm

Microsoft update prevented from starting
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\AM_Delta_Patch_1.167.1227.0.exe

was prevented from starting for no apparent reason.

The results of the analysis are here:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/b5c30b21956a7a2d779d39df7925157e8bab9da547b89b19a25a487c15047bc8/analysis/

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Microsoft update prevented from starting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »
Click the add an exclusion link and it will run normally

Offline DrBB01

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »
I am receiving a similar message daily. The main difference is that I am not offered the opportunity to exclude the file (see attached screenshot).

I currently run Microsoft Security Essentials manually, so I would like to continue receiving daily updates. I suspect I can exclude the directory to which the file is being downloaded from being scanned, but I imagine that presents additional security risks I'd like to avoid. It would be nice if Avast could scan and recognize these daily update files as legitimate (scanning them with Avast before approving them always confirms they do not pose a threat). Until it does, I would appreciate any suggestions for avoiding these daily warning messages.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »
The simple answer is uninstall MSE, you cant have two AV's installed at the same time... even if MSE is disabled there are still low level active drivers running that can conflict.

Running two AV's at the same time will actually lesson your security.

Offline DrBB01

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:38 PM »
craigb-- Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping to be able to load Security Essentials on demand, but after not finding a way to start the service manually (all start-up options on the service were grayed out), I took your advice and uninstalled it.

BTW, I have often read statements like, "Running two AV's at the same time will lessen security," but am unaware of evidence to support it, at least as a general rule. [I have seen evidence that running two AVs automatically in the background can be terribly inefficient, use up lots of resources, and slow down response time.] Can anyone direct me to an authoritative source that supports the belief that having two AVs running together carries an increased security risk? Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »
You can run a search on this forum - you should get lots of hits on the issue of running two AV's together, any good security forum will have topics to support this.

As Eddy posted the first link for you :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »
I was hoping to be able to load Security Essentials on demand, but after not finding a way to start the service manually (all start-up options on the service were grayed out),
if you want a extra scanner, this is recomended  www.malwarebytes.org
if you use USB removable drives / stick / memory cards  this is recomended. It is install and forget  www.mcshield.net

Offline DrBB01

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »
Thanks to all. Eddy's link was very informative. I found another (www.howtogeek.com/133704/how-to-scan-your-computer-with-multiple-antivirus-programs that gave the same advice about running two AVs at once, but also provided advice about how to run a non-resident scan on demand. Consistent with Pondus' recommendation, it also suggested Malewarebytes Anti-Malware, which I have used in the past.