Author Topic: Newbie - Avast and Pegasus mail setup  (Read 10710 times)

bazcor

Newbie - Avast and Pegasus mail setup
« on: September 03, 2004, 02:19:29 PM »
Hi and tia for any info ... I use Avast and Pegasus mail but the mail scan in Avast doesn't seem to be examining my mail!

When I look at the status of Avast Internet Mail it shows Scanned count O, infected count 0, even after Pegasus has downloded my email which contained the EICAR test virus.

I have run the Mail Protection Wizard and it says all is well? Can some one please tell me what I am doing wrong?

..... Barry

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Newbie - Avast and Pegasus mail setup
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 04:10:45 PM »
You're not doing anything wrong.
Mail Protection Wizard does not work with Pegasus Mail...  :'(
Can you read the Help file (Manual configuration of the Internet Mail Provider) and then we can guide you?

Generally speaking, you should do:

Pop3 server: 127.0.0.1
Username: youremailname#yourpop3server

Smtp server: 127.0.0.1
Authentication on
Username: #yoursmtpserver or youremailname#yoursmtpserver
Password: blank or yourpassword
The best things in life are free.

bazcor

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 05:56:51 PM »
Thanks for that, I now have it working fine, unfortunately only for  one of my 2 POP accounts but maybe it can work for more than one? Anyway maybe in the next version  :)

As for me it's a case of RTFM (as usual)

Thanks again .. Barry

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 12:38:23 AM »
Unfortunately only for one of my 2 POP accounts but maybe it can work for more than one? Anyway maybe in the next version  :)

Barry, sure it's not the problem.
I use Pegasus Mail for more than 5 accounts... No problems, no update needed  8)
Notice: some ISP requires different SMTP authentication like I said before.

I wish Walker (an old user) were here to teach us about Pegasus Mail  :'(
If you want, you can send your configuration (except the password) to my email.
I'll send him and, for sure, he will be able to fix it  ;)
The best things in life are free.

MLReynolds

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 02:16:29 PM »
Barry,

I hope by now you've solved your problem with Pegasus. I just wanted to say that I too used Pegasus, with 5 different e-mail accounts, and did have problems getting all 5 scanned with Avast.

The problem was not with Avast or Pegasus, but my own in-experience and lack of knowledge on configuring e-mail accounts for providers.

I got all of the information I needed through this Forum to get everything running as it should. (I just can't find the posts from over a year ago)

My biggest problem was with the e-mail account through a web site I have.

Prior to Avast my user name was;
myaccountname+mydomain.us

After Avast it had to be;
myaccountname+mydomain.us#mail.mydomain.us

(the ".us" is the type of doman. As in .com , .net , .org , etc)

So, if you haven't already resolved your issue, you're very close.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 05:44:38 PM »
bazcor,

Configuration of Pegaus is not difficult.
You only need to understand the basic rules of setting the POP and SMTP server addresses and names.

Then, you can go into each of you account and reset them.

Remember Pegasus uses only the Server host name/address for all accounts.  This is 127.0.0.1.
Avast then takes your "username" to configure the mail settings.

The Mail Protection Wizard in Avast MAY configure Pegasus for one account but not for all.

Manual configuration takes a bit of time, but if you keep in mind what you are changing each step, then it will work out well.

The secret is to use the "username" as it is given by your isp.  If it apears such as "johndoe@isp.com", then Avast will rewrite it in the format as "johndoe@isp.com#pop.isp.com" and similar for SMTP.

If the username is just "johndoe", then the @isp.com will not be used.

Account name and Username are sometimes used interchangeably but you must determine which is "set" by the isp, and which one is user defined (meaning you can call the account anything you want without changing the operation of the email client itself....Pegasus)

Again, you must use the actual pop and smtp coding as provided by the isp.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 05:50:30 PM by Techie101 »

bazcor

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 07:01:40 PM »
Thanks again everybody...

I now have it working on both of my accounts, I was looking for to much complication with this. I just changed the account details in Pegasus and it now seems to be working fine!

Thanks again ... Barry

pattorngren

Re: Newbie - Avast and Pegasus mail setup
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 08:09:21 PM »
Hello, I have just found this thread, though I see it is ten years old.  But it is about the problem I am having.  I am using Avast and running the latest version of Pegasus Mail.  When I did a complete system scan using Avast it showed my computer as clean.  However lots of strange things were happening, so I used another malware program and did a complete scan.  It picked up 11 pieces of malware, including two trojans (all now removed).  However, the person who helps me with my computer (I am an "end user") said he wondered if Avast was protecting me from viruses coming in via Pegasus Mail.  I did a google search and found this thread.  My question is, "is the advice given above still valid, as I see this thread is dated 2004."  Thanks!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »
My suggestion is for you to start a new thread/topic to avoid confusion.
The information is from ten years ago and may not apply to v2014.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

pattorngren

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 10:50:05 PM »
Thanks for replying.  Yes, my first idea was to start a new thread, but after spending about half-an-hour here trying to figure out how to do that, I left the message you responded to.  Much appreciated,and can you give me any tips about how to start a new thread please?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 11:21:32 PM »
Thanks for replying.  Yes, my first idea was to start a new thread, but after spending about half-an-hour here trying to figure out how to do that, I left the message you responded to.  Much appreciated,and can you give me any tips about how to start a new thread please?
At top right in evry forum section you find a new topic button.....

pattorngren

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:41 PM »
Thank you both for your advice.  I am afraid I am very much an "end user".  I don't know what "forum sections" are and haven't been able to find find out via google or the search engine here, so I couldn't figure out how to start new a thread.  If one of you kind people (or anyone else who sees this) could start a thread for me called "Avast and Pegasus Mail setup" and then email the URL to me at pgt (at) mweb.co.za with a message something like the following to start the thread, it would be hugely appreciated...  "Pat would like to know if Avast is protecting her from malware coming onto her computer via Pegasus Mail (latest version). She is currently running Windows XP and thinking of upgrading to Windows 7."  Any help from anyone here would be much appreciated!  :)

pattorngren

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »
I think I have stumbled onto it by accident, so I will have a try now.  Thanks for your help so far!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
  I don't know what "forum sections" are
forum sections are what you see listed down the website here   http://forum.avast.com/   when you see this you have entered the  avast! Free/Pro/Suite section

when you enter one of these sections you will see the start new topic button in upper right corner (only visible if you are logged in)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:53:27 PM by Pondus »

pattorngren

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
Thanks Pondus, it worked! :)