Author Topic: Avast! says Iobit ASC3 is Win32:Malware.gen  (Read 4534 times)

Velma_K

Avast! says Iobit ASC3 is Win32:Malware.gen
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
avast! (starting this morning) is detecting a file that has been on my PC for 3 months as a Win32:Malware.gen
It belongs to the program Advanced Systemcare 3 by Iobit.  I know recently Iobit has been getting some flack despite C-net rating ASC3 as one of the Top downloads of 2010.  But the detection this morning is not making sense to me.  Can a file all of a sudden change to a Virus?  It's also on 2 of my PC's (1 XP and 1 Win7)

I've done a Google search, expecting to find many people with the same detection... but nothing came up.  I then read some on false positives... I'm fairly PC literate but not so much on Viruses and Malware.  Never had a Virus on my PC... but I have fixed friends and family's PC's w/ Viruses.

It started this morning being awoke by "AVAST! has detected a Virus!"  Ahhhhhh!  I got up, did a BootScan and it found and put in the chest 4 files (pretty much the same file).  I have the same file on my other PC, in 2 locations, scanned it and it too came up as a Virus.

02/06/2011 11:17
Scan of all local drives

File C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\Remove.exe is infected by Win32:Malware-gen, Moved to chest
File C:\Users\Velma\Desktop\folder\networkmon-debug_1.rar|Remove.exe is infected by Win32:Malware-gen, Moved to chest
File D:\Extra\asc-setup.exe|{tmp}\IObitToolbarSetup.exe|[Embedded_R#T8SETUP.EXE]|content\menu.xul Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
File D:\Extra\asc-setup.exe|{tmp}\IObitToolbarSetup.exe|[Embedded_R#T8SETUP.EXE]|content\toolbar.js Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
File D:\Extra\networkmon-debug\Remove.exe is infected by Win32:Malware-gen, Moved to chest
File D:\Extra\networkmon-debug.rar|Remove.exe is infected by Win32:Malware-gen, Moved to chest
File D:\Extra\Newest PC Protect\asc-setup-pro.exe|{tmp}\IObitToolbarSetup.exe|[Embedded_R#T8SETUP.EXE]|content\menu.xul Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
File D:\Extra\Newest PC Protect\asc-setup-pro.exe|{tmp}\IObitToolbarSetup.exe|[Embedded_R#T8SETUP.EXE]|content\toolbar.js Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
Number of searched folders: 15968
Number of tested files: 316173
Number of infected files: 4

This File "networkmon-debug"... Last Nov.  ASC3 put out a version with a component called Network Monitor that screwed a few peoples PCs. It stopped my PC from being able to access the web.  I had to download this Patch to get things working.  It some what worked... my PCs (both XP/7) would work but stop responding periodically with Connection timed out (Firefox).  I'd have to stop Avast! WebSheild and then immediately web access would be back.  Also... every once in a while AVAST! would have a RED X through the tray icon and it would say it had Stopped... I'd start it back up.

This took place for the past couple months and then just last week I Uninstalled and Reinstalled ForeFox, Avast!, Zone Alarm (on XP), Online Armour (win7), Advanced SystemCare3... Things have been working much better except for the Virus detection this morning... And Windows update only works on the XP/Zone Alarm PC.  The Win7/OnLine Armour PC can't access Windows Update... But that's another issue (I'm thinking OLA).

Thank You for Any help that one might give

PS. Not bad for a 1st post... I'm excited to be a new member  :)

Velma_K

Re: Avast! says Iobit ASC3 is Win32:Malware.gen
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »
Sorry... Forgot to mention I did a Scan with Malwarebytes but nothing was detected.
AND... as much as I've liked the IOBIT ASC program over the past few years... I think I'm going to look elsewhere for similar programs after reading quite a bit tonight of their unethical behavior.

i.e. WinUtilities, Revo Uninstaller, MCSheild

??? any other suggestions would be great.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast! says Iobit ASC3 is Win32:Malware.gen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »
any other suggestions would be great
This is what i use....

CCleaner  http://www.piriform.com/
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 2.6.6 http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm