Author Topic: E-mail wizard  (Read 5598 times)

john36

E-mail wizard
« on: September 03, 2004, 08:17:49 PM »
Hi all,  This is my first dip in this pool (forum).  I downloaded the free version of Avast and had a couple questions.  In the E-mail wizard on the service settings page I'm a little confused (which isn't unusual).  SMTP server which is for outgoing mail, I have three choices in the drop down menu.  1. mail (this is highlighted).  2. SMTP  3. SMTP.psu.edu.  Which one should I select?  I use mostly AOL, Yahoo or Hotmail for sending and receiving e-mail.  Also, On this same page there is a Default Pop3 server drop down menu with these 3 choices.  1.  mail (this is highlighted).  2.  Pop3.  3.  email.psu.edu.  Which one of these do I choose?  Again, I use mostly the three e-mail services mentioned above.  The psu.edu is something my daughter used  to use.  She no longer uses it.  I hope these questions aren't too silly.  Thanks in advance.  I have more questions but I don't want to be a question hog.  I'll ask them later.  Thanks again,
John

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:E-mail wizard
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 09:56:04 PM »
Hi John, welcome to the forums.

1. Treat this in the same way you do for your default account in your email program, you have several email accounts and one is your defaullt.

2. Same as above.

The Mail Protection Wizard can only set-up your pop3 and smtp accounts and not any web based email accounts (yahoo, hotmail and possibly AOL {unless you have pop3 accounts for these}).

So web based email is not directly protected by the Internet Mail provider as they don't use the same pop3 mail protocol. Web based email is simply viewed as a standard web page and as such is protected by the Standard Shield provider (it is advised to have the sensitivity set to High or greater).

I would recommend that you take some time and read the avast Help file,

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 01:01:56 AM »
John, wellcome.
As David said, no trouble of using more than one email account.
The default one is used to send files to Alwil company for analysis, for instance.
You should choose the email account of your ISP, I mean, the one of the same provider you connect to the Internet. But, if you use another, don't be worried too much.
The best things in life are free.

john36

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 03:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  David , thanks for the recommendation to read the avast help file.  I can assure you that I most definitely did read this help file before posting.  I also did a search on the e-mail wizard title.  If I understand your replies correctly, If my default e-mail account is yahoo mail, I don't need to make any changes to the e-mail wizard because yahoo is a web based e-mail service?  I should say that I don't really understand the terminology concerning smtp and pop3 even though I've also did searches on these topics.  On the service settings page in the wizard do  I need to type in Yahoo mail and all my other e-mail accounts as well?  As you can see, I don't know a lot about sending and receiving e-mail but I would like to properly  configure my antivirus program to protect all my e-mail accounts.  Thanks to all,
John

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 05:01:46 PM »
If I understand your replies correctly, If my default e-mail account is yahoo mail, I don't need to make any changes to the e-mail wizard because yahoo is a web based e-mail service?  I should say that I don't really understand the terminology concerning smtp and pop3 even though I've also did searches on these topics.

Not all yahoo acounts are web based, the free one is, but if you have a paid for yahoo email account then that is a pop3 (receive email) account, smtp (send email, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is the sending part of an email account.

Do you download your email with a mail client (outlook express, etc.) or do you log on to your Yahoo account online and browser your email?

On the service settings page in the wizard do  I need to type in Yahoo mail and all my other e-mail accounts as well?  As you can see, I don't know a lot about sending and receiving e-mail but I would like to properly  configure my antivirus program to protect all my e-mail accounts.  Thanks to all,
John

If you have an email program that is recognised by MPW, then there is usually a dropdown list of accounts that you can select the default.

It would be very helpful if you let us know more about your system as we can be guessing trying to resolve this, OS email program, etc.

User's FAQ - we need more information to be able to help fully. A visit to the thread will give you a lot of useful advice and an idea of the information needed to Help you fully.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 05:05:28 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

john36

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 11:23:57 PM »
If I understand your replies correctly, If my default e-mail account is yahoo mail, I don't need to make any changes to the e-mail wizard because yahoo is a web based e-mail service?  I should say that I don't really understand the terminology concerning smtp and pop3 even though I've also did searches on these topics.

Not all yahoo acounts are web based, the free one is, but if you have a paid for yahoo email account then that is a pop3 (receive email) account, smtp (send email, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is the sending part of an email account.

Do you download your email with a mail client (outlook express, etc.) or do you log on to your Yahoo account online and browser your email?

On the service settings page in the wizard do  I need to type in Yahoo mail and all my other e-mail accounts as well?  As you can see, I don't know a lot about sending and receiving e-mail but I would like to properly  configure my antivirus program to protect all my e-mail accounts.  Thanks to all,
John

If you have an email program that is recognised by MPW, then there is usually a dropdown list of accounts that you can select the default.

It would be very helpful if you let us know more about your system as we can be guessing trying to resolve this, OS email program, etc.

User's FAQ - we need more information to be able to help fully. A visit to the thread will give you a lot of useful advice and an idea of the information needed to Help you fully.

David,  Thanks for your patience.  My OS is Win98.  Browser is IE 6.  E-mail accounts are:  Yahoo mail that is free and I log on to yahoo to retrieve mail.  Hotmail is the same as Yahoo.  AOL 5.0 is paid and I log on to AOL to receive this mail.  We sometimes use AOL as our ISP when using dial up but we generally use our cable modem and our ISP is Adelphia.net.  So I also have e-mail accounts through Adelphia that I log on to Adelphia's site to retrieve this mail.  I understand that the free mail with Yahoo and Hotmail come with a virus scanning feature, so maybe I don't even need to configure those accounts.  I've included some more info in my signature also.  Hope it helps.  Thanks.
John

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 01:03:22 AM »
Hi John,

From what you say your Yahoo, hotmail and AOL would appear to be web based (online) email services. As you say yahoo and hotmail (and possibly AOL) have anti-virus protection, so they can't be protected directly by avasts Internet Mail provider. They are however, covered by the resident on-access Standard Shield scanner in the same way as web pages you browse.

Your Adelphia account would probably be the best one for your default pop3 and smtp account within the avast mail protection wizard. I assume that this you use your IE6 for?

If you have setup your IE6 to download your hotmail, it to would possibly be protected as well as any email accounts that you have setup in IE6.