Author Topic: windows Me install problems  (Read 6117 times)

stone

windows Me install problems
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:46:38 PM »
Can not install on dell pentium 3 computer. Have downloaded several times, each time I get message can not install, if problem persists try to download again. I have reformated drive and did clean install of ME.

I have running zonealarm free, secretmaker for pop ups etc, 256 megs of ram.

Does anyone have answer, if more info needed, let me know.

lee16

Re:windows Me install problems
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 10:45:52 PM »
Stone

Welcome to the forums

You should always install an Anti-virus before a firewall, so try uninstalling Zonealarm first, then install avast, then re-install Zonealarm.

--lee
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 10:46:17 PM by lee16 »

stone

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 11:10:01 PM »
tried to install first, had no luck.

ianb

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 11:19:44 PM »
A.  What are you downloading ?
B.  What tells you it can't install. Windows or Avast ?

Very nice bunch of people here that will help you, just give them as much info as possible.

stone

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 12:28:50 AM »
Just got home from work ,now I can be more specific. When I  download and run setupeng.exe for avast free virus scanner, windows popup gives error message "setupeng has caused error in <unkown>. Setup will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting computer."

This occured before I installed zonealarm. Have tried downloading from Avast and download.com.

If more technical info needed, will supply.

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 12:42:05 AM »
Stone, was the M.E. a retail version or from the Dell supplied disk?

This might sound like a totally unrelated question, but I've noticed problems with various "branded" pc's when os is re-installed with retail disks as opposed to their own restore disks.  Not to say Avast can't be installed on it.

It might not be an Avast problem per se, as I've had similar problems with other software with Dell and other branded systems in the past.

I'm asking because I rebuild older pc's for a charity here and have come across problems like this quite a few times.

I'm positive you'll find a solution here on these forums, I know I have, many times.  Welcome here!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 12:52:23 AM »
Stone, it should not being occuring this  :'(
Did you try to install avast in another computer?
Have you close all the programs running before installing avast?
Have any other antivirus in the system?
Help us giving more information... With the one posted here, I cannot figure out what is happening...

You should always install an Anti-virus before a firewall, so try uninstalling Zonealarm first, then install avast, then re-install Zonealarm.

Lee, I cannot imagine why you post this so sure  ::)
Sometimes the order will bring trouble but not all the times and with all combinations on antivirus and firewalls...  8)
The best things in life are free.

stone

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 01:46:12 AM »
first the ME version is retail as there were no disks that came with computer for windows ME, it had NT on it, used old ME disk that I no longer use on computer I use now.

There are no programs running etc, firewall is shutdown, no AV was installed, as I did clean install, then downloaded avast and ran into this problem.

On computer I am on now , I run XP with Avast and have no problem. I want to try to use avast in computer with ME.

The Me computer the has setup program on it, I can not transfer to another computer to try to run because It does not have recordable CD drive, think file to large to transfer to my other computer via e-mail.

I am wondering if inthewildteam post might be correct in something to do with dell machine ???

Might try to install windows ME later if solution can ot be found ??????

inthewildteam

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 01:59:08 AM »
Stone, when you installed M.E., did you delete "non dos partitions" ?

I'm assuming you are using the original hd that came with the machine.

If you don't get a workaround for the Avast install, using a win98 start-up floppy run fdisk and delete all dos and non dos partitions to use the full capacity of the hd.  I realise that this might mean a complete re-install and might break some functionality of the motherboard (onboard sound and video for example) but I might be able to help you with that.

This programme (and thanks to Eddy here for this, not my suggestion)

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

might help identify the mainboard and various other cards etc.

If it is a problem with firmware, I'm sure we can resolve it eventually.  Don't give up on these forums just yet, someone is sure to come up with an idea before taking the long process of a re-install and new drivers etc.

stone

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 08:40:19 AM »
Thanks everyone for trying to help. Just got finished
re-installing Windows ME. Must have been bad install as everthing now is ok. Have avast and zonealrm up an running now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 08:41:05 AM by stone »

inthewildteam

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2004, 01:14:06 AM »
Thanks for posting back and letting us know how you fixed it stone.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2004, 05:31:46 PM »
Re-installing Windows ME. Must have been bad install as everthing now is ok. Have avast and zonealarm up an running now.

The very most common solution on Windows Me.
Installing over the 'old'...  :-\
I have to do this some times...

Don't forget to update your installation on Windows Update site...  8)
The best things in life are free.