Author Topic: Subscription Dates  (Read 7334 times)

Offline simbasi

Subscription Dates
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:58:40 PM »
I just renewed my subscription to the Internet Suite, and find that even though I had some time left on my old subscription, my new subscription/license effective date is the day I renewed. Guess next time I'll wait till the day it expires.  Never had a subscription do this before.

Offline bstock

Re: Subscription Dates
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:47:21 PM »
That sounds a bit tough!
Silly question but does the new subscription expire in 12 months time or is it extended a bit to end on the same day and month that the original subscription would expire.
Acer Aspire 5742Z / Pentium P6100 2GHz / 4GB Ram / 500GB HDD / Windows 7 Home Premium / Avast!Internet Security 7.0.1456 / SUPER AntiSpyware Professional / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free /Firefox 14.0.1/ IE9 / Mozilla Thunderbird 14.1 / TrueCrypt

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »
I just renewed my subscription to the Internet Suite, and find that even though I had some time left on my old subscription, my new subscription/license effective date is the day I renewed. Guess next time I'll wait till the day it expires.  Never had a subscription do this before.

You should contact sales (at) avast (dot) com and query that issue as it makes a bit of a mockery of early loyal renewal if it doesn't start from the 'end' of your existing license period.

You never know it might be adjusted, though I don't know how after the fact as there isn't a way of inputting a license 'early' (before the reminder 13 days before expiry). But it would at least raise this anomaly and your disappointment at the loss.

The more people that raise the point with sales, then the greater the possibility for it to be corrected so it doesn't start/expire until the existing license period.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ron2

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »
Although this is an old post, I thought I would add that, as of today, one month before my subscription expires at the beginning of July, the policy that the renewal starts from the date of purchase persists.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
This has change since this topic was created over a year ago.

However, if the purchase is made outside of the avastUI (e.g. renewing the license from the avastUI, Maintenance, License/Renewal section), there would be no way to link the existing license to your existing license period.

So contact sales as outlined and they will correct it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ron2

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »
I was in the process of renewing from my Avast UI; actually from the popup indicating that my license would expire in 28 days and I should renew now.  But, prior to actually executing the renewal (and recalling what happened the last time), I queried Avast as to the renewal effective date.  Avast forwarded my query to DeadRiver, who responded that the license would start from the time of purchase.

Is there some other method of renewing, where it will be documented, before I supply my credit card number, that the renewal will extend my current license, rather than replacing it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »
The problem is that the pop-up reminder is outside of the avastUI, I believe that this reminder is from the my.avast.com your avast account web interface. That is why I said some things have changed so as to make this old topic inaccurate.

If asking Digital River a direct question on the start of the license, they would most certainly say from the date of purchase as that is correct for new licenses. I don't believe that Digital River would be aware that you already have a license unless you supplied it.

I already mentioned where to renew the license "e.g. renewing the license from the avastUI, Maintenance, License/Renewal section." I can't show you that as my avastUI interface is for the free version, but renewal of the license would be through the Maintenance tab, Subscription (I believe is what it is called).

Offline ron2

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 03:29:35 AM »
Well, it seems to me that you are making some incorrect assumptions, perhaps based on my unclear comments.
  • First of all, the pop-up for the renewal is the same as the one that appears if I select "Renew Now" from the Maintenance page of the Avast Pro Antivirus UI; and leads to the same form that states that my current license will be "replaced"  (NOT extended).  I have tried this both from the pop-up that appears on my "screen", as well as directly from the Avast UI
  • Second, I did NOT ask anything directly of Digital River.  I went to the Avast web site, and posed the question to what I thought was customer service.  Avast forwarded my email to Digital River, who then responded to me.  I would have expected a response from Avast, not DR.

:(  I guess this is not a problem you have had to deal with.  But so far I see nothing to indicate that Avast has changed their policy since the last time I renewed, nor any reason to not wait until the "last minute" to do so.  This is something I would have thought would have been cleared up by now.

Offline ron2

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:01:17 AM »
I received a second response from Avast that indicated that a renewal should extend, and not replace, an pre-existing subscription.  I have requested clarification as to the conflict with the first response and, if that clarification is forthcoming, will renew and hope for the best.

Offline ron2

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »
In spite of email assurance from avast sales and support that my registration would be extended and not replaced, after installing a two year purchase today, I am presented with two possible extension dates:
7/1/2012 (the current expiration date)
6/5/2014 (two years from today -- NOT a two year extension)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
Then you do as stated in Reply #2 and contact sales and they will correct it.

Offline ron2

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »
I did and they corrected it promptly.  But it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for something that should be taken care of automatically, and generates ill will by not being taken care of automatically.  This is not a new issue.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »
I don't know what happened in your instance, but the renewal of the subscription process through the avastUI was changed so that it did extend the existing license and not just from the date of renewal.

Offline ron2

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »
That did not occur for me, even though I renewed through the Avast UI.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 01:02:45 AM »
Yep, I have brought this up before and nothing happened. Obviously posting here doesn't accomplish much.

My current license is up in 62 days. I would love to renew right now. If I do, God knows what will happen. :(

printed on 100% recycled bytes