Author Topic: Avast and outlook express  (Read 6341 times)

SusiB

Avast and outlook express
« on: September 03, 2004, 10:34:40 PM »
I have just installed Avast which was highly recommended to me by a friend.  I am not computer savvy so I have no idea what I did or didn't do to cause this problem with my outlook express...this is the message I get ???

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your User Name was rejected. Account: 'susanmbell@earthlink.net', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server smtpauth.earthlin.net:110, connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

Can someone explain to me how to correct this problem in a way a that is not too technical.  Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast and outlook express
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 12:47:08 AM »
Well, I think that you should:

1. Stop and close your email program (by the way, which is your email program? Which OS do you have?)

2. Run Mail Protection Wizard (Start Menu > All Programs > avast antivirus)

3. Configure your email accounts and run the 'avast services' automatically. You can do this following the windows and choosing the propter answers.

4. Start you email program again and tell us what you get...
The best things in life are free.

SusiB

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 03:05:59 PM »
I am using Outlook Express 6   I did what you suggested and now it looks like it is stuck authorizing...with a lock on it.  I just noticed earthlink is spelled wrong on the error message... server smtpauth.earthlin.net:110, connect...could that cause a problem?? Thanks for the help...it is much appreciated...

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 03:55:41 PM »
Hi SusiB,
I just noticed earthlink is spelled wrong on the error message... server smtpauth.earthlin.net:110, connect...could that cause a problem??
It sure could. It means it's looking for an ISP that doesn't exist. Please make the correction and let us know how you made out.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

SusiB

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 05:07:24 PM »
I went into my settings and tried to fix the spelling of earthlink, but it didn't seem to correct it.  Is there another place to make the change??  Thanks

techie101

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 05:23:55 PM »
Susie,

See corrected post below.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 05:27:22 PM by Techie101 »

techie101

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 05:25:54 PM »
Susie,

Within OE, you should be able to open up Tools/Internet Options/Accounts and change the settings for SMTP.  
Insure that any additional email accounts (identities) have the spelling corrected as well, since Avast will use one SMTP server address to send mail for all accounts.  

Make sure that you use the Apply button if available, then the Open button.  Sometimes...just clicking the Open button does not "afix" the change.
When done, reboot computer.

Apparently, the configuration is in error.  This could be caused by the MPW (Mail Protection Wizard) or simply a glitch running around in the computer. No matter, you can reconfigure it and it will be fine.

Earthlink MUST be spelled correctly for the authentication to take place.  

Any further problem, let me know and I will walk you through it.

Take care.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 05:26:13 PM by Techie101 »

SusiB

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 06:05:10 PM »
Hi Techie..

I did what you suggested, and I still get the same error message with earthlink spelled wrong.  I first get a log in message which says  127.0.0 and my user name and password.  I click ok, but it comes back again with the same log in message.  When I hit cancel it brings up the error message again... :(  This is really frustratiing...do you think I should call earthlink about it??  Probably a techie could figure this out with no problem...alas, that is  not me... :-[

lektem

Same Problem with OE 6
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 09:37:03 AM »
Hello, I have got the same problem.

I did literally everything in the following support tip:

Q: avast! 4 changes my POP3 and SMPT settings to 127.0.0.1 and also the names of my e-mail accounts are modified, so I cannot send any messages. What is wrong?

A: avast! needs to change that settings, otherwise it couldn´t scan your e-mail messages. But it shoudln´t cause any problems with sending or receiving messages. If you have problems, however, follow these steps:
Close Outlook Express.
Start Mail Protection Wizard and select "Automatically remove protection from all my accounts.
Start Outlook Express.
In Outlook Express, check the server addresses and user name. If you don´t know the appropriate values, ask your Internet Service Provider.
Close Outlook Express (very important!!!).
Start Mail Protection Wizard again.
Select "Set up the protection manually".
Select "I don´t use MS Outlook..."
Follow the instructions.
At the end you can start Outlook Express again. The addresses of POP and SMTP servers will be changed and your login name modified, but it will work.

In my case, it did not work.  :'(

I use Win98 SE, Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 Version

I receive error messages with correct spelling.

Some of my accounts require "My server requires authentication" tick but neither they, nor the other ones work.

Why is that, any ideas?

This is error message in my language. It is the same of Susan's.

Sunucuya ba?lanmaya çal???l?rken bir TCP/IP hatas? oldu. Hesap: '.Marjinal', Sunucu: '127.0.0.1', ?leti?im Kurallar?: POP3, Ba?lant? Noktas?: 110, Güvenli(SSL): Hay?r, Hata numaras?: 0x800CCC15

lektem

Solution
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 10:06:51 AM »
Hi all,

I have Tiny Personal Firewall running. When I disabled it, Avast started running fine and okay. But Tiny p. Firewall did never asked me anything. "Avast will execute mail check, do you permit or deny something."

So can you help me how to configure it to permit Avast will use 127.0.0.1 as mail check port. Which applications do i have to manually permit to check email? Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 01:19:56 PM »
Hi Techie..

I did what you suggested, and I still get the same error message with earthlink spelled wrong.  I first get a log in message which says  127.0.0 and my user name and password.  I click ok, but it comes back again with the same log in message.  When I hit cancel it brings up the error message again... :(  This is really frustratiing...do you think I should call earthlink about it??  Probably a techie could figure this out with no problem...alas, that is  not me... :-[

Hi SusiB,

I doubt that Earthlink would know what to do short of deleting the account and then recreating it (not good), rather than trying to guide you through the problem, which they would say is not of their making.

Where have you been trying to correct the spelling? In OE > Tools > Accounts > select the account and click Properties.... see image.

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security