Author Topic: Changing Scan Timing  (Read 4560 times)

Tigrisan

Changing Scan Timing
« on: September 05, 2004, 08:25:14 PM »
My Avast scans every 30 seconds or so which slows my computer until the scan is done.  Does anyone know how to adjust the setting, if one can, so it doesn't scan quite so often?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Changing Scan Timing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 08:29:35 PM »
Avast does not scan every 30 seconds unless you have pro and shedule it that way. But that would almost impossible since a scan normally takes longer than 30 seconds. (Depending on what you scan ofcourse)

What makes you think Avast scans every 30 secs? Is it the blue ball with the A in it? Or perhaps the blue ball with the I in it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 08:38:09 PM »
Probably you changed the Standard Shield options to scan evety open, created and modified file so, this way, you get a stronger protection but, of course, will use more resources of the system...
The best things in life are free.

Tigrisan

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 10:36:59 PM »
So I don't want to set it to scan everything?  Seems kinda not worth having then doesn't it?

Tigrisan

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 10:44:35 PM »
OK, so I went back and timed it.  The blue ball only stops spinning for 10-12 seconds at a time and then starts again and when it spins, it does so for about 45 seconds.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 11:58:01 PM »
What things do you have running (see taskmanager) or what application(s) are you using when this happens?
What are your system specifications?
Already checked for viruses?
Remove spy-/adware?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 12:37:38 AM »
OK, so I went back and timed it.  The blue ball only stops spinning for 10-12 seconds at a time and then starts again and when it spins, it does so for about 45 seconds.

You didn't say if it was the avast 'a' icon or the 'i' VRDB icon ???

It could be that the program is trying to update the VRDB. Try doing a 'Generate VRDB Now!' and let that complete and see if that resolves the spinning icon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

inthewildteam

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 01:34:51 AM »
If it isn't any malware running, is it perhaps p2p programme or i.m. running at start up?

Tigrisan

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 03:54:20 PM »
I merged the two icons because I don't like clutter.  It's been running (vrdb) for quite a while now.  I can't get rid of any of my spyware finders etc. because I have two teenagers who indescriminately click on whatever holds their fancy.  I know it's not mal/spyware, I just got done reinstalling my OS for the third time now in almost as many weeks!
I have Windows PX SP2
Ad-Aware
SpySweeper
Spybot
HiJack This
McAfee Firewall
Kerio
Avast
Windows SP2 firewall on
I am paranoid at this point!  I don't want to reinstall again!  I have had this happen almost since I installed the Avast originally.  So....I don't know what else to look for.
Thanks for all of your help!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 03:59:58 PM »
The generation of the VRDB can take a while. That is normal. Don't worry about that. Set the VRDB generation to "generate when idle" and you will not notice it is running (except for the spinning ball). When set this way Avast uses only the cpu idle time and does not take cpu time away from other applications you have/are running.

Tip: With XP you can set a lot of restrictions for users. Perhaps creating a limited account for your kids will make you even more confortable. Here are two sites with tips/trucs on how to secure a system.
http://www.markusjansson.net/exp.html
http://nsa1.www.conxion.com/
If you have XP Pro you can also use gpedit.msc to limit their possibillities.

Tigrisan

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »
Thanks again for all your help!