Author Topic: [Resolved] Windows update offers me Security Essentials  (Read 9179 times)

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
[Resolved] Windows update offers me Security Essentials
« on: February 11, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »
I noted that microsoft windows updater offers me to download microsoft security essentials. I cannot download It, right? They cannot be both installed with avast I think. So should I have to ignore this update?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:44:59 PM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

ArtemisF0wl

Re: Windows update offers me Security Essentials
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »
i've noticed the same thing, im still offered MSE even though i have Avast installed.  :-\  i think its best to ignore that optional update personally

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »
You can actually choose to hide it if you like, then you will not be bothered everytime you update, right click on it and choose hide.
And if you ever want to download it just go to hidden update's and unhide :)

iRonzel

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:57:41 PM »
This means that Security Center isn't detecting avast! as installed. You can ignore this. It's a optional update.

Nesivos

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »
I strongly suggest you do not install MSE. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »
I noted that microsoft windows updater offers me to download microsoft security essentials. I cannot download It, right? They cannot be both installed with avast I think. So should I have to ignore this update?

Are you sure it is MSE, as I haven't been offered that on either my XP Pro or win7 windows updates.

You get offered the usual monthly Microsoft Security Tool (MST) that just does a scan, which I decline every month and because it is a monthly issue, regardless of if you elect to hide it, next months is different so you get offered it again and again and a(bl**dy)gain.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »

Are you sure it is MSE, as I haven't been offered that on either my XP Pro or win7 windows updates.

You get offered the usual monthly Microsoft Security Tool (MST) that just does a scan, which I decline every month and because it is a monthly issue, regardless of if you elect to hide it, next months is different so you get offered it again and again and a(bl**dy)gain.

On both of my Windows 7 HP x64 computers I have been offered MSE.

I accepted the offer on one  of the computers.

I removed it less than a day after installing it.

I strongly recommend against installing it.

MST is not an optional update in Windows 7 HP X64.

It is part of MSFT regular monthly security updates

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 07:46:42 PM »
I think MS have a brass neck offering MSE a resident AV when you already have one as in the OP and first respondents case.

I know MST isn't an optional update, it gets palmed off as a security update which you have to decline every sod*ing month. This again is I feel a bit of a cheek when MS knows you have anti-virus and any anti-spyware installed via the Windows Security/Action Center.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »
I don't like MSE. It's bad antivirus. Avast is 1000x better than MSE. In detection, in features and in all other ways... And I personally think that the MSE appeared in Windows updates because my system wasn't detect Avast 6 (maybe?). Anyway I will not install any stupid mse.
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Seffrid

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:01:35 PM »
MSE had a poor reception when first released, but the reviews I've seen all agree that it's a lot better now and strongly recommended. However, Avast continues to be approved as well so it's down to personal choice.

I've recently removed Avast and Spyware Doctor from one machine and replaced them with MSE and Malwarebytes, while keeping them both on my other machine. I'll be interested to see how they all perform!

Nesivos

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:40:31 PM »
I think MS have a brass neck offering MSE a resident AV when you already have one as in the OP and first respondents case.

I know MST isn't an optional update, it gets palmed off as a security update which you have to decline every sod*ing month. This again is I feel a bit of a cheek when MS knows you have anti-virus and any anti-spyware installed via the Windows Security/Action Center.

I believe MST scans your computer, for exactly what I don't know :) when it is downloaded as part of the monthly updates.  I have never seen it identify anything bad.  I know when I had XP I downloaded MST monthly when it updated and saved it to my desktop.  I would then run it and it would scan.  Again it never indicated that it found anything or that I had any problems with my system.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:43:13 PM by Nesivos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:02:24 PM »
It as far as I'm aware also gathers data, how do you think Microsoft get all that data on infected systems, etc.

But again if your system is already protected and the windows update has got to know that from the Windows Security/Action Center. It shouldn't be offered as either Important or Critical (I can't recall the one it is under) when your system is protected.

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »
on a side note, I don't know what's going on, at Windows Update checks, MS keeps prompting me as an option (that I did hide a thousand times)to update MSE... hmm... when MSE has been installed, and is not anymore for quite a while here ;D

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 09:36:07 PM »
I don't know what you think guys...
But I think that MSE is much worse than avast. Can MSE protect you on the internet? Can you set-up excludes, create custom scans or schedule boot-time scans? is MSE protect you from known IM infections? Does It blocks bad websites? What about website reputation? How number of viruses have MSE in database? Is MSE heuristics good? Isn't It higher than avast? Have It behavioral shield? These all things are missed in MSE. Avast! have only 1 competition - Avira personal. Avast! is the best free antivirus. You cannot found better.  8)
And MSE is totally fail from microsoft.  :-X

So problem is fixed. Thanks

stxNTrm06

Re: [Resolved] Windows update offers me Security Essentials
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:21 PM »
I noted that microsoft windows updater offers me to download microsoft security essentials....

Can you give the number and the name of the update, it should be something like (KB000000) ? And the link to the related info URL ?

Thanks.  :-[