Author Topic: [Resolved] Windows update offers me Security Essentials  (Read 9193 times)

Hermite15

Re: Windows update offers me Security Essentials
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
I don't know what you think guys...
But I think that MSE is much worse than avast. Can MSE protect you on the internet? Can you set-up excludes, create custom scans or schedule boot-time scans? is MSE protect you from known IM infections? Does It blocks bad websites? What about website reputation? How number of viruses have MSE in database? Is MSE heuristics good? Isn't It higher than avast? Have It behavioral shield? These all things are missed in MSE. Avast! have only 1 competition - Avira personal. Avast! is the best free antivirus. You cannot found better.  8)
And MSE is totally fail from microsoft.  :-X

So problem is fixed. Thanks

sorry what ???   ::) I hate useless and blind bashing.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
Re: [Resolved] Windows update offers me Security Essentials
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »
Can you give the number and the name of the update, it should be something like (KB000000) ? And the link to the related info URL ?

Thanks.  :-[

Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2267621

File size: 10,8 MB

Next informations:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155239

Help and support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=151935

Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

stxNTrm06

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 12:22:01 PM »
Thanks.  :-[

iRonzel

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
But I think that MSE is much worse than avast. Can MSE protect you on the internet? Can you set-up excludes, create custom scans or schedule boot-time scans? is MSE protect you from known IM infections? Does It blocks bad websites? What about website reputation? How number of viruses have MSE in database? Is MSE heuristics good? Isn't It higher than avast? Have It behavioral shield? These all things are missed in MSE. Avast! have only 1 competition - Avira personal. Avast! is the best free antivirus. You cannot found better.  8)

I think that MSE is much worse than avast.

Your opinion, Ok.

Can MSE protect you on the internet?

Yes. Also, its protection is built-in in IE(SmartScreen Filter).

Can you set-up excludes, create custom scans or schedule boot-time scans?

Yes, but not include boottime scan.

is MSE protect you from known IM infections?

Of course, this is related to virus database, NOT a special shield.

Does It blocks bad websites? What about website reputation?

Again, included in IE(SmartScreen Filter)

How number of viruses have MSE in database?

There are no numbers, only encyclopedia.

Is MSE heuristics good? Isn't It higher than avast?

Yes, see AV-Comparatives tests to stay in tune.

Have It behavioral shield?

Yes. Since MSE 2.0

Dch48

Re: Windows update offers me Security Essentials
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »
But I think that MSE is much worse than avast. Can MSE protect you on the internet? Can you set-up excludes, create custom scans or schedule boot-time scans? is MSE protect you from known IM infections? Does It blocks bad websites? What about website reputation? How number of viruses have MSE in database? Is MSE heuristics good? Isn't It higher than avast? Have It behavioral shield? These all things are missed in MSE. Avast! have only 1 competition - Avira personal. Avast! is the best free antivirus. You cannot found better.  8)

Actually almost all of those things are done by MSE but in a different way. The only things not in MSE are the IM shield and the mail shield. A lot of people will say that a mail shield in an AV is not needed anyway. If you also use Internet Explorer, MSE integrates with that to provide some very good browsing protection. MSE's heuristics may also even be better than Avast!'s right now.

The reasons why I don't use MSE are very slow scans, a perceived performance hit, and the fact that on the other machine here, MSE totally failed to upgrade both times program updates were offered. It got stuck during the process of urgrading and left the machine with no functioning AV protection until MSE was completely uninstalled manually and the new version redownloaded and installed. That was just not acceptable so that machine now also runs Avast! free.

I have never received an option to download MSE from Windows update. All I see is it listed as a category but when I click on that, there are no downloads offered.