Author Topic: Why I switched from Malwarebytes to avast.  (Read 9870 times)

976gf9sf

Why I switched from Malwarebytes to avast.
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »
Hello,

This may be stupid, tell me if this is stupid, but this is what I thought:

free Malwarebytes case:
1) I download a clean software
2) I scan it on demand with free Malwarebytes, result: software is clean.
3) clean software was in fact evil and start downloading trojans 1 hour after scan.
4) oopsy computer is dead

free avast case:
1) I download a clean software
2) It is scanned by realtime protection, result: software is clean.
3) clean software was in fact evil and start downloading trojans, realtime protection prevents it.
4) yay computer is happy and well.

g0dsends

Re: Why I switched from Malwarebytes to avast.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »
Malware bytes isnt a forum of protection too block its a scanner too get rid of malware.
avast blocks malware. its best too have both programs on your pc  :)

Seffrid

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:57:12 PM »
First, they're two different things. Avast is an anti-virus program, MWB is an anti-malware program. MWB is therefore a complementary program to Avast, not an alternative to it. You need both forms of protection, although there are of course many competing products in each case.

Second, the free edition of Avast offers real-time protection, the free edition of MWB does not (although real-time protection is unlocked by a cheap single lifetime payment).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
It isn't a case of a replacement as you can't compare the two as they do different things, they compliment each other as you will see from my signature and many other avast users in the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:23:53 PM »

the free edition of Avast offers real-time protection, the free edition of MWB does not (although real-time protection is unlocked by a cheap single lifetime payment).

About $25.00 bucks  :)

Walt baby luv

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:51:56 AM »
Ok, I have Avast Internet Security Suite and Threatfire, one signature, one behavior based, both real-time and I have Spybot (on demand scanner for spyware) and Malwarebytes (on demand scanner for Malware). I understand that Avast and Threatfire both block spyware and malware/virus. Do I need anything more? I do have the Avast firewall, obviously. Let me know.

One more thing, I see that everyone that works for Avast DOES NOT have Avast Internet Security Suite?? Why? Out of all the people.. I would think you guys of all, would have the best of the best. Just wondering, thanks again for all your help and your products. Take Care :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 06:11:05 AM »
Walt baby luv Im not completly sure but there has been some conflicks with threatfire before so just keep a eye on that.
No one here work's for avast but the moderators, we are all users like yourself.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 06:13:04 AM »
Ok, I have Avast Internet Security Suite and Threatfire, one signature, one behavior based, both real-time and I have Spybot (on demand scanner for spyware) and Malwarebytes (on demand scanner for Malware). I understand that Avast and Threatfire both block spyware and malware/virus. Do I need anything more? I do have the Avast firewall, obviously. Let me know.

One more thing, I see that everyone that works for Avast DOES NOT have Avast Internet Security Suite?? Why? Out of all the people.. I would think you guys of all, would have the best of the best. Just wondering, thanks again for all your help and your products. Take Care :)

If you are refering to avast! Evangelists, they are not employees. That is just a rank (300+ posts). Everybody has their own preferences, and most prefer a free setup. Btw, the real employees have the rank "Moderator/administrator" or "avast team"

You should be fine, although I recommend that you drop Spybot, it has been Known to conflict with avast, even with TeaTimer disabled.

Walt baby luv

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:55:53 AM »
Thanks guys, I am new at this site. I haven't had any problems with Threatfire or Spybot, but that might be because I have 5.0 Maybe that's the reason when I downloaded 5.1 my computer froze, or maybe it's because I have an Acer Aspire 5517.

Anyways...I will drop Spybot and switch to SuperAntiSpyware, and I guess I will keep Threatfire until I see comments of people having problems with Threatfire and the new 6.0 version. But it works perfect with 5.0

Thanks again,   

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
I see that everyone that works for Avast DOES NOT have Avast Internet Security Suite??.......
Who do you mean ?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »
Pondus,

I suspect that there has been a misunderstanding about the designation of forum contributors by the poster you quote.

it is clear from his signature that DavidR (though not an avast team member but a highly valuable forum contributor) does not use AIS but just the free version.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:24:06 PM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »
Someone has to use it so they can use it for a reference to also be able to help those who have it.

I have never been a fan of suites from when they first made an appearance, as many of them aren't a best fit for the user, my 'jack of all trades master of none' comment. However, the Avast! Internet Suite differs somewhat in that the firewall is designed and built by Avast to work in conjunction with the antivirus, unlike many other suites where they cobble separate modules into a suite.

Me I have been using the Agnitum Outpost firewall (in various versions) for even longer than almost seven years of using avast. It is like a comfortable pair of shoes that you don't want to change.

However, many people aren't like me and don't want the hassle of seeking out individual products that best suit their needs and look for a suite solution.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:11:50 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 03:26:07 PM »
Pondus,

I suspect that there has been a misunderstanding about the designation of forum contributors by the poster you quote.

it is clear from his signature that DavidR (though not an avast team member but a highly valuable forum contributor) does not use AIS but just the free version.
I know, thats why i asked...to see who he meant

Walt baby luv

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »
Sorry guys, I am new to this site and know very little about computers, but I am learning little by little. I thought maybe the avast! Technical guys worked directly for Avast.

Thanks again for the info. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »
It is just another forum grade based on post count also.

See image as this may help you, whilst it is old it is I believe still correct.