Author Topic: Why I switched from Malwarebytes to avast.  (Read 9898 times)

Dch48

Re: Why I switched from Malwarebytes to avast.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »
You should never rely on Malwarebytes to protect by itself. Even the paid version will not do that. Malwarebytes focuses on new malware and once something is being detected by the major AV providers, it is removed from Malwarebytes' detection database. Therefore it's not surprising that MBAM didn't detect something and Avast! did. MBAM is only good as a backup against newer malware.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 09:12:51 PM »
Off-topic, admittedly, and my apologies for that, but couldn't resist ...
It is just another forum grade based on post count also.

See image as this may help you, whilst it is old it is I believe still correct.

Thanks for that updated list, David -- last time I'd seen it, evangelist was the highest "rank" for non-team members, although I was aware that uberevangelist was later added for obvious reasons.

I'm curious about the odd, unrounded requirement for your own Technical group -- was that originally created specifically for you and based on your post count at the time?  Or do you know?

Thanks and best,
Mike
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:15:12 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 09:18:04 PM »
I don't know (hadn't reached that number before it was created, but I think someone was bored or having a little fun at the time of creation, 43210 is 01234 reversed, so I think you may see the reverse logic in it ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »
You should never rely on Malwarebytes to protect by itself. Even the paid version will not do that. Malwarebytes focuses on new malware and once something is being detected by the major AV providers, it is removed from Malwarebytes' detection database. Therefore it's not surprising that MBAM didn't detect something and Avast! did. MBAM is only good as a backup against newer malware.

I did not know this!  Thank you for this info!

Jack