Author Topic: Avast forces restart and performs boot-time scan  (Read 4591 times)

elessar77

Avast forces restart and performs boot-time scan
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »
Hello,

I use Avast for almost 6 years with no problem whatsoever, until last week that is.

The problem is the following (version 5.1.899):
My PC is on most of the day (the only power option that I use is the 'turn off display after 10 minutes', no sleep option etc). After 5-6 hours I return to my computer and I press, for example, the space button to activate the monitor again in order to work.
Whenever I do that, I see the 'shutting down' Windows screen, the PC reboots and Avast performs a boot-time scan! Needless toy say that I have not scheduled a boot time scan. 

I hope there is a solution to this cause is getting extremely annoying :)

My rig:
Win7 Pro 64-bit
i5 760
gigabyte ga-p55-usb3
4gb ram 

coldbarrelshot

Re: Avast forces restart and performs boot-time scan
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
I have this same issue, and like you lose all my work after returning to the PC and pressing space bar to wake up from stand by mode.

I have tried "unscheduling" the boot time scan, and have even let the boot time scan complete after reboot, neither option fixes the issue. Of course there is no support information for this issue anywhere ....

To me all free antivirus software are pretty much the same, and I will be uninstalling avast in favor of AVG now, as this search was my last ditch effort to remedy this annoying problem so that i can focus on work and more important matters. Antivirus software is supposed to be transparent, not annoying. Thanks for a good run Avast, and good riddance! :]

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »
Do a repair of avast and see if it solves the problem.
It can be also a windows problem.
Sometimes windows does not update the registry correctly.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
sounds more like Avast is able to perform a boot scan automatically in certain conditions, which I had no idea about... better investigate in this direction than into Windows registry ;D

elessar77

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
I have this same issue, and like you lose all my work after returning to the PC and pressing space bar to wake up from stand by mode.

Try pressing ESC in order to wake up your pc, by that you cancel the boot time scan that has been scheduled without your permission.

I have tried uninstalling / re-installing Avast but with no luck. Didn't have this problem before, it emerged with the 5.1.889 version.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:01:28 PM by elessar77 »