Author Topic: V 5.0.889 suddenly stopped updating definitions  (Read 3312 times)

mellex

V 5.0.889 suddenly stopped updating definitions
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:03:19 PM »
Hi -
My version was working fine until about a week ago. Suddenly, it alerts me my definitions are out of date, so I choose update. The screen shows the progress bar but stops after only a few seconds showing the date of the latest definitions and saying I AM up to date. However, nothing downloaded. And if I close out and then open and check again, it says I am, indeed out of date on definitions and continue to get the avast warning sign about it when I boot up. It seems it simply will not download the latest definitions all of a sudden.

I am on window XP. And again, this is an "all of a sudden" kind of thing. I didn't always have a problem with this.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: V 5.0.889 suddenly stopped updating definitions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:53:32 PM »
What does the AvastUI, Maintenance, Update, section show as your Virus Definitions version, current is 110216-0 ?

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You may need to reboot after the repair. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.

Ensure that your system date is correct (day/month/year) and adjust as required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mellex

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »
version is only 2-5-11. I'll try the repair..thank you for that...and see if it works!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »
You're welcome.

Hopefully that will be enough, if not you may have to download the full virus database, but the repair process/dialogue should show if that is necessary.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mellex

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
well...never works the first time, right? :) So I tried repair and got an error message and told me to use the full update option. Tried that and got a microsoft error message re: avastsetup.exe...

I attached the avast error message I got which prompted the "full update" option suggestion. MS error didn't really give me anything useful it seemed. So now I'm totally stymied. I also tried all the proxy setting options, just in case that was the issue but nothing changed things.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »
Where was this avastsetup.exe file as that isn't an avast file I'm familiar with, avast.setup, a legitimate avast file that runs the update process, so if that is what you meant we need the message that was given ?

So if there was some issue with Microsoft (don't know why it would become involved) and the avast.setup that could mean the update may fail.

I don't know what you were actually doing in this full update, but essentially if just means downloading the virus database.

Avast! Manual Virus Definitions Update Download - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download ensure that you select the correct virus definitions (for avast 5, vpsupd.exe, approx 31MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.